SharePoint Still Clunky for IT; Microsoft Office Web Apps Dismal; Microsoft Can Do Very Well in Mobile
Top News Stories
SharePoint is a Hit for Microsoft but Still Clunky for IT (SearchWinIT)
For Microsoft, SharePoint has by many estimates been a runaway success, but for many IT pros and business users here this week, the enterprise collaboration software is no game changer. In fact, in some cases it can be an expensive boondoggle. Everyone agrees that SharePoint is here to stay. Some IT experts say it's quickly becoming the de facto collaboration platform not just in Windows shops but also at companies that may not traditionally consider Microsoft platforms -- say, those with a large population of Unix and Linux machines.
Does Your Web CMS Integrate With SharePoint 2010? (CMS Wire)
Sure SharePoint 2010 has built in web content management capabilities. But that doesn't stop of number of WCM vendors from integrating their own solutions with the collaboration platform. After all, we all need options. Before we get started, I just want to remind you that we are talking about Web Content Management solutions that integrate with SharePoint and how they have done it. We aren't discussing Enterprise Content Management. And if you don't see your name in the list, let me know via the comments. I am interested to hear your integration story.
Microsoft Touts Closer Ties Between SharePoint, Office 2010 (SharePoint Briefing)
Microsoft Office 2010 arrived in retail stores Tuesday, and Microsoft hosted an all-day event at its Silicon Valley campus to show off the new software to IT workers. The verdict? The demos look slick, but the software/hardware package can get pricey.
Microsoft Office Web Apps: Limited, Mediocre, Dismal (PCWorld)
Is the era of desktop software over? With the general release of Office 2010 this week, Microsoft seems to be sending a mixed message. On the one hand, Office 2010 is the slickest, most feature-rich version of the suite to date. That's a clear challenge to Google, which offers a simpler, Web-based alternative to Office in the form of Google Docs. On the other hand, the simultaneous release of the Office 2010 Web Apps seems to vindicate Google's strategy by duplicating Office functionality on the Web. So which is it?
Why Microsoft's Hybrid Cloud Threatens Google (Forbes)
Microsoft's official release last week of its cloud computing platform, Azure, gives developers the option to build applications in the cloud via Microsoft's data centers, rather than in a company's server. Giving customers this sort of flexibility in IT and software development is important to customers looking for ways to reduce costs, bandwidth demands and management responsibilities. Flexibility in delivery models is also Microsoft's key differentiator over cloud giant Google.
Ballmer: 'We Can Do Very Well in Mobile' (Seattle PI)
First, check out Microsoft's historical sales shares among mobile operating systems. Windows Mobile used to be a leader, and now it's in fifth place.
The Worth of Cloud Computing (Plug Into the Cloud)
How do you measure the business value of cloud computing? Do traditional IT metrics like ROI and TCO apply? How can the benefits of business agility be applied to the bottom line? The topic came up during a panel discussion at the Enterprise 2.0 Conference in Boston this week. "How do you measure productivity?" was the reply of one of the panelists.
Around the Blogosphere
SharePoint 2010 'Undefined' is Null or Not an Object (Liam Cleary [SharePoint MVP])
When using a custom Master Page within SharePoint 2010 you may experience the following issue when creating site columns. This error is caused by incorrect syntax within the master page itself. To reproduce this issue, do the following.
SharePoint 2010 Folder Design Best Practices (SharePoint Security)
There are several design considerations when using SharePoint 2010 folders when designing the information architecture. Importantly and obviously, plan for the number of items that will be organized in each folder. Those items can be moved either manually or it can be automated. Incorporated features include the metadata navigation so that the amounts of items in folders don’t have such strict limits. Use metadata navigation and folder navigation so that the folders are able to be used for policies and retention. This is in addition to the folders being used for organization. Organization of content in folders so that they can be easily navigated as well as combined with other available options for the simplification of navigation.
Where Did ULSTraceLog go to in the SharePoint 2010 Logging Database? (Jan Tielens' Bloggings)
The Logging Database is one of the many new concepts that will make the life of many SharePoint administrators quite a bit more enjoyable. In SharePoint 2007 the Unified Logging System (ULS) logged all of its data to text files, typically found on your SharePoint server in 12\LOGS. We still have that in SharePoint 2010, but besides those text files, ULS can also write the data to a database! The advantages are obvious: easy to query, one central location for all servers in the farm, easy to build reports etc. You can find this ULS data in the SharePoint 2010 logging database (typically called WSS_Logging), in the view ULSTraceLog.
Around Bamboo Nation
Using SharePoint Data in InfoPath Forms: How Does it Work? (The Bamboo Team Blog)
One of the best things about working for Bamboo is getting to learn something new every day. It reminds me of just how little I really know, something my mother told me constantly when I was 16. (Mom, if you're reading this, you were RIGHT!) I recently wrote an article about using Bamboo's Workflow Conductor to approve expense reports. In the SharePoint world, you can't have expense reports without an InfoPath form. So, a bit daunted by my ignorance, I opened InfoPath for the very first time. Thank goodness for InfoPath's sample form templates and all those helpful blog and online documentation writers out there, or that use case would never have been written!
SharePoint Job Listings*
SharePoint Consultant / Solution Designer - Reston, VA
Bamboo Solutions is currently interested in recruiting a SharePoint® Consultant / Solution Designer to work at our headquarters in Reston, Virginia. The SharePoint Consultant / Solution Designer position will require an experienced, client-facing business professional who provides a variety of information directly to clients for their ongoing SharePoint-related programs, new initiatives, strategic plans. In addition to a strong technical understanding of MS SharePoint and how SharePoint can be used to solve business problems, the Consultant/Solution Designer must have a strong customer service orientation and be experienced contributor who remains current on SharePoint industry and customer trends. The SharePoint Consultant/Solution Designer will value team-work and can work effectively in both the implementation and client-acquisition phases of a project.
SharePoint Administrator / Systems Engineer - Raleigh, NC
As a SharePoint Administrator / Systems Engineer, this individual acts as a member of multiple project teams focused on delivering and migrating complex systems into AT&T's world class hosted infrastructure for our Fortune 500 customers. The successful engineer will play an integral role in designing and delivering enterprise SharePoint solutions for our customers as well as This individual will also contribute in the research and development of our service offerings surrounding SharePoint 2010 as well as evaluating complementary products such as migration and administrative tools.
MOSS 2007 - Refreshing External Data, using SSO, from an Oracle Database. (Microsoft Support)
When refreshing an Excel Workbook, in Excel Services, using SSO, from an Oracle Database an user receives the error: "Data Refresh Unable to retrieve external data for the following connections: <Connection> The data sources may be unreachable, may not be responding, or may have denied you access. Verify that data refresh is enabled for the trusted file location and that the workbook data authentication is correctly set."
- June 16-17, Sydney, Australia, Australian SharePoint Conference
- June 17, New York, New York, SharePoint Engine Presents: SharePoint 2010: The Business Collaboration Platform
- June 22, Online, The SharePoint 2010 World Premiere
- June 23, Online, Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- June 23, Online, Bamboo PM Suite Webinar
- June 23, Online, Bamboo Workflow Conductor Webinar
- June 23, Iselin, New Jersey, SharePoint Engine Presents: SharePoint 2010: The Business Collaboration Platform
- June 25, Malvern, Pennsylvania, SharePoint Engine Presents: SharePoint 2010: The Business Collaboration Platform
- June 26, Tampa, Florida, SharePoint Saturday
- June 29, London, England, Dan Holme's SharePoint 2010 MasterClass
- June 30, Online, Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- June 30, Online, Bamboo PM Suite Webinar
- June 30, Online, Bamboo Workflow Conductor Webinar
- July 24, Chicago, Illinois, SharePoint Saturday
- July 31, New York, New York, SharePoint Saturday
- August 24-27, Washington, DC, SharePoint Best Practices Conference
- October 20-22, Boston, Massachusetts, SPTechCon
- Online, Enterprise Social Computing at Deloitte
- June 14-17, Chicago, Illinois, Office SharePoint 2007 Power End User - Mindsharp
- June 14-18, Chicago, Illinois, Administrating Office SharePoint Server 2007 - Mindsharp
- June 14-18, Chicago, Illinois, Customize SharePoint Sites without Writing Code Using SharePoint Designer 2007 - Mindsharp
- June 21-24, Washington, DC, Office SharePoint 2007 Power End User - Mindsharp
- June 21-25, Houston, Texas, SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer Beta - Mindsharp
- June 21-25, Houston, Texas, SharePoint Server 2010 Administrator Beta - Mindsharp
- June 24, Online, Webinar: Maximizing SharePoint End User Adoption - Mindsharp
- June 28-July 1, Huntsville, Alabama, Office SharePoint 2007 Power End User - Mindsharp
- June 28-July 2, Minneapolis, Minnesota, Developer’s Guide to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 - Mindsharp
- June 28-July 2, Online, Online Developer’s Guide to Windows SharePoint Services 3.0 - Mindsharp
- June 30, Online, Live Meeting: Introduction to SharePoint - Mindsharp
- July 5-9, Online, Online Administrating Office SharePoint Server 2007 - Mindsharp
- July 6-9, Online, Online Office SharePoint 2007 Power End User from Minneapolis - Mindsharp
- July 12-15, Minneapolis, Minnesota, SharePoint 2010 Power End User Beta - Mindsharp
- July 12-15, Online, Online SharePoint 2010 Power End User Beta - Mindsharp
- July 12-16, Online, Online SharePoint Server 2010 Administrator Beta - Mindsharp
- July 19-22, Washington, DC, Office SharePoint 2007 Power End User - Mindsharp
- July 19-23, Washington, DC, SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer Beta - Mindsharp
- July 26-30, Minneapolis, Minnesota, SharePoint Designer 2010 Beta - Mindsharp
- July 26-30, Huntsville, Alabama, Administrating Office SharePoint Server 2007 - Mindsharp
* Please contact Chris Dooley (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be included in SharePoint Daily.
Have SharePoint Daily delivered to your email inbox every morning.
Jun 17 2010, 07:48 AM
Filed under: Windows Mobile, SharePoint Events, SharePoint Training, Office 2010, SharePoint 2010, SharePoint Jobs, Microsoft Office Web Apps, SharePoint 2010 Folder Design, SharePoint 2010 and CMS, Microsoft Hybrid Cloud, Worth of Cloud Computing
Please sign into Bamboo Nation to leave a comment.