Today I have included a link to an Enterprise Collaboration White Paper that requires you register with the site. I have generally avoided links like this because it annoys me to have to register to see content. But... this isn't really about me. Tell me what you think. Should I include links to sites that may require registration? - Dooley
Top News Stories
Understanding Cultural Requirements (AIIM)
I saw a Wi-Fi placard in a hotel recently and laughed that it still touted the service as being "50 times faster than dialup." I can't remember the last time I even owned a computer with a modem, much less care about that useless comparison. I marvel at the speed of change in technology during my 20+ year career, largely in IT roles. I occasionally share a story of years back when I was excited to gain access to a bulletin board service (BBS) in which dungeon masters shared maps and monster charts and other role playing guidance (which makes me a nerd on a couple different levels, I know). Jump forward to today, and the way in which the rising generation communicates with each other, and with the world at large, has changed dramatically. Collaboration tools have become ubiquitous.
The Cloud: Reinventing Enterprise Collaboration
It is no surprise to anyone working in virtually any business anywhere in the world today, that knowledge is power. having access to the most accurate, up-to-date corporate information, and the ability to easily collaborate on that information gives organizations the means to make decisions that drive the most positive business outcome. According to a new study by IDG research, which surveyed more than 260 large-enterprise IT managers, the vast majority of knowledge workers (86 percent) placed a very high level of importance on collaborating with internal coworkers and external stakeholders, and having access to the most up-to-date corporate information.
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer CES Keynote: Windows Most Important (eWeek)
Microsoft CEO Steve Ballmer took the stage here Jan. 9 for what could very well be his last keynote address at the Consumer Electronics Show (CES). As predicted by many in the tech media, his talk focused primarily on Windows Phone, Microsoft's designs on living-room entertainment and the upcoming Windows 8. But most of all, Ballmer wanted to talk about the "Metro" design aesthetic that increasingly unites Microsoft's properties, referring to it as a "star attraction" across "all the user experiences" offered by his company.
2012's Top Cloud Trend: IT Delivers Platforms (InformationWeek)
Picking up where we left off in Part 1 of this cloud trends series, let's get out the crystal ball once again for six more predictions on what will happen to clouds in the coming year.
Microsoft's 2012 Inaugural Security Patch To Include 7 Fixes (RedmondMag)
January's Security Update from Microsoft, arriving next Tuesday, will feature six fixes for Windows and one fix for Microsoft developer tools, according to the company's advance notice. Only one security bulletin in the patch, a remote code execution fix for Windows, is expected to be labeled "critical." This lone critical item will apply to all supported Windows versions, except for the most recent client and server operating systems. It's not the only one to watch in this patch release, according to Wolfgang Kandek, chief technology officer at Qualys.
Microsoft Updates Windows Phone, Angers Users (PCWorld)
Microsoft released an update for Windows Phone that fixes a number of issues. That is great, but it comes with some news that has upset many Windows Phone users. Microsoft is abandoning its efforts to keep users informed of which vendors and carriers are providing the update. A post on the Windows Phone Blog explains, This week we started to make a new Windows Phone update 8107available to many Windows Phone customers. The update, available to all carriers that request it, is part of our ongoing maintenance of Windows Phone.
Nokia Lumia 900 is Born in the USA (CNET)
Nokia's top-end Windows Phone, the Nokia Lumia 900, will only appear in the US, thanks to its 4G LTE technology. Following the launch of the smaller Nokia Lumia 800 in Europe, the 900 is the first Nokia Windows Phone to appear in America. It looks a lot like the 800, itself based on the abortive Nokia N9, with a polycarbonate body in black or blue. Like the 800 it has a 1.4GHz processor and an 8-megapixel camera.
Around the Blogosphere
SharePoint 2010 + Windows Azure - Breaking Out of the Sandbox (Andrew Connell)
While the sandbox gives developers an option to creating custom solutions in the cloud, the fact remains that it can be somewhat limiting. Some tasks developers are used to doing on the server in a fully trusted environment are simply not permitted on the server. For instance developers cannot create custom web services or make calls to custom databases. While these limitations do exist, there are various ways to get around them when in a hosted scenario.
Debugging with Your Hands Tied (Perspectives on SharePoint)
The scenario was as follows: As part of a SharePoint project a custom event handler was needed that looked across two libraries to assign some metadata automatically. This required a farm level solution created in Visual Studio. (Such development is covered by our course, Programming SharePoint® 2010 Applications with .NET.) I don’t have administrative access to the Server where the code will be deployed, but I do have design rights on the Libraries. After testing locally the packages were sent to the administrator who was in a different time zone. He installed the code and enabled the feature on the appropriate site.
SharePoint Starter Series: How to Hide the Title Column in a List (SharePoint 365)
When you create a new list in SharePoint you always get a predefined set of columns (title, created, created by, modified and modified by). Sometimes you do not want to use the title column. You can use this trick to hide the column:
PowerShell and Registry: Propertytype Mappings (My SharePoint experiences)
Since a few weeks I have been using and LOVING PowerShell for providing SharePoint functionality. Working with SharePoint AND PowerShell is really powerful. But every now and then, it’s not easy to find the right information
Around Bamboo Nation
Bamboo Tools & Technologies' 2011 Year in Review with Jeff Tubb (The Bamboo Team Blog)
This past year was another busy one for releases of your flagship product, Workflow Conductor, with ongoing development and support efforts for both SharePoint 2010 as well as 2007 versions of the product. How many releases were there during the course of the year?
SharePoint Job Listings*
Principal System Engineer, SharePoint Administration - Ridgefield, Connecticut
As a Principal System Engineer you will be responsible for the deployment and maintenance of systems for global business processes which improve or accelerate non-regulatory and regulatory activities. Through ongoing consultation with business clients, a senior principal system engineer/principal system engineer identifies and analyzes business needs and makes innovative recommendations for process changes and/or technology-enabled solutions. The senior principal system engineer or principal system engineer is then responsible for providing software solutions including the acquisition of off-the-shelf commercial solutions as appropriate for the client's need. As a subject matter expert, this individual will consult to other IT colleagues, business clients, and/or solution providers to enhance productivity and improve processes in support of the client's business goals. Responsibilities include technical leadership, project management, system administration, system design and ongoing maintenance and support.
SharePoint Specialist - Harrisburg, Pennsylvania
The SharePoint Specialist is the expert for a technical development or execution environment for SharePoint 2010. Primary responsibility is to ensure availability and facilitate productive use of SharePoint. Our client is looking to implement SharePoint Server and is installing the 2010 version. This tool is to be integrated with Oracles Universal Content Management, MS Dynamics and as a backdrop to .Net applications. This resource is bringing expertise on what will be a new tool, providing guidance and knowledge transfer to technical staff. It is expected that this resource has employed SharePoint document and form management and social networking capabilities.
Integrating Mobile Client Applications with SharePoint 2010 Workflows (MSDN)
Learn to integrate mobile devices with Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010. Learn to create a Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) application that calls a Windows Communication Foundation (WCF) service to submit data into a SharePoint site and update the status of a custom SharePoint workflow.
- January 10, Online - Executive Briefing - Empower Your Organization with SharePoint
- January 11, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- January 11, Online - Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- January 11, Online - How to Build a Project Management Information System (PMIS)
- January 11, Online - How to Use Content Types in SharePoint
- January 12, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- January 17, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- January 18, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- January 21, Austin, Texas - SharePoint Saturday
- January 24, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Administration Webinar
- January 25, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- January 25, Online - Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- January 25, Online - How to Build a Project Management Information System (PMIS)
- January 26, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- January 31, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- February 26-29, San Francisco, California - SPTechCon
- February 27-29, Johannesburg, South Africa - Share Conference
- March 20-22, San Francisco, California - AIIM
- March 21, New Orleans, Louisiana - SharePoint Saturday
- April 23-26, Atlanta, Georgia - Share Conference
- April 30 - May 1, Reston, Virginia - SharePointConference.org
- January 10, Online - Bamboo Component Training - Collaboration Enablers I - Bamboo Solutions
- January 10-13, Nashville, Tennessee - InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive - SharePoint Solutions
- January 11, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- January 11-12 and 18-19, Online - Building Business Solutions with SharePoint 2010 - O'Reilly
- January 12, Online - Bamboo Component Training - Collaboration Enablers II - Bamboo Solutions
- January 16-20, Cleveland, Queensland, Australia - Developing Solutions with SharePoint Server 2010 - Intelligent Decisioning
- January 16-20, Online - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- January 16-20, Washington, D.C. - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- January 17, Online - Project Management Central Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- January 17, Online - Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders - Bamboo Solutions
- January 17-18, Chicago, Illinois - Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 - SharePoint Solutions
- January 17-20, Chicago, Illinois - Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 - SharePoint Solutions
- January 19, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- January 24, Online - Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers - Bamboo Solutions
- January 24-25, Nashville, Tennessee - Exploring SharePoint 2010 - New Features - SharePoint Solutions
- January 24-27, Nashville, Tennessee - Applying MOSS Core Features - SharePoint Solutions
- January 24-27, Nashville, Tennessee - SharePoint 2010 Upgrade and Planning - SharePoint Solutions
- January 30-February 3, Boston, Massachusetts - Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training - DevelopMentor
- February 1, Online - Knowledge Base Accelerator Application Administration - Bamboo Solutions
- February 7, Online - Bamboo Component Training - Collaboration Enablers I - Bamboo Solutions
- February 8, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- February 9, Online - Bamboo Component Training - Collaboration Enablers II - Bamboo Solutions
- February 13-17, Cleveland, Queensland, Australia - Professional SharePoint Server 2010 Administration - Intelligent Decisioning
- February 16, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- February 21, Online - Project Management Central Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- February 21, Online - Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders - Bamboo Solutions
- February 27-March 2, London, England - Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training - DevelopMentor
- February 28, Online - Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers - Bamboo Solutions
- March 6, Online - Bamboo Component Training - Collaboration Enablers I - Bamboo Solutions
- March 7, Online - Knowledge Base Accelerator Application Administration - Bamboo Solutions
- March 8, Online - Bamboo Component Training - Collaboration Enablers II - Bamboo Solutions
- March 14, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- March 15, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- March 20, Online - Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders - Bamboo Solutions
- March 27, Online - Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers - Bamboo Solutions
- April 11, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- April 17, Online - Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders - Bamboo Solutions
- April 19, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- April 24, Online - Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers - Bamboo Solutions
- April 30-May 4, London, England - Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training - DevelopMentor
* Please contact Chris Dooley (email@example.com) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.
Jan 10 2012, 07:54 AM
Filed under: Steve Ballmer, SharePoint Events, SharePoint Training, SharePoint Jobs, Enterprise Collaboration, SharePoint 2010 and Windows Azure, Nokia Lumia 900, SharePoint Starter, Debugging SharePoint, Cloud Trends, Windows Phone Updates, Powershell and Registry, CES 2012 Keynote
As Marketing Manager for Bamboo Solutions, Chris Dooley is responsible for overseeing all marketing efforts made towards identifying, creating, and evaluating strategies to promote the services and products offered by the company. He brings more than eight years of marketing experience to his position, with a strong focus on social media marketing stemming from his time of employment with America Online prior to Bamboo Solutions. During his time with AOL as a Senior Program Manager, Chris was responsible for creating the advertising processes for AOL Messaging and Social Media and co- founded AOL’s ComicsAlliance. In his role as Marketing Manager for Bamboo Solutions, he continues to carry out his extensive knowledge of social media marketing by establishing the need for the company’s products and services worldwide through emphasizing and initiating global marketing efforts. Chris studied Programming at Georgia Perimeter College.