I'm not a big gamer but for some reason I am looking forward to Microsoft Flight. Maybe this time I can learn how to land instead of crashing. - Dooley
Top News Stories
7 SharePoint Predictions For 2012 (BCW)
With social media and cloud computing on the rise, the introduction of Microsoft SharePoint 2010 and Office 365 marked major developments for SharePoint users in 2011. So, what will the trends be in 2012?
Designing Windows 8, or How to Redesign a Religion
There are lot of hard jobs at Microsoft. Like the guy who collects Steve Ballmer's dry cleaning. But Sam Moreau just might have the hardest gig in Redmond. Or at least the most harrowing. Over the past five years, he's taken on the tiny task of redesigning the operating system used by like a billion people all over the world. You know, NBD.
Will Windows 8 Tablets Be Just As Crappy For Productivity As The iPad? (GottaBeMobile)
The future of desktop applications on Windows 8 tablets appears fuzzy at the moment thanks to Microsoft’s tight lips on the subject and conjectures based on rumors and unnamed sources. Will ARM-based tablets get the traditional desktop interface or just the Metro UI? Will desktop apps get a chance to play as long as they’re certified, or will Microsoft only certify their own apps?
There's No Business Like Social Business, Says IBM (ComputerWorld)
At the IBM’s Lotusphere conference in Florida last month, Big Blue made several announcements on the future of its enterprise collaboration software. The theme was social business, and it was evident from the number of sessions with the word “social” in the agenda, that IBM is banking on it to drive growth in businesses (including its own) in the future. “Ultimately, social business is a competitive differentiator,” says Alistair Rennie, GM of collaboration solutions at IBM.
Around the Blogosphere
SharePoint Online and Windows Azure: Developing Secure BCS Connections using WCF Services (Steve Fox's OBA Ramblings)
Over the Christmas vacation, a few of us got together and started down the path of how to not only secure external data connections to SharePoint Online, but more generally discussed a few different patterns that can be used to develop ‘complete cloud’ solutions; that is, solutions that leverage the collaborative platform and features of SharePoint Online and deploy solutions to SharePoint Online with code that lives in Windows Azure. In this blog post, I’m going to cover how to secure an external data connection with the Business Connectivity Services (BCS) using a secure WCF service deployed to Windows Azure. The discussion will highlight three additional areas you need to consider when securing the connection. The blog post will reference a comprehensive hands-on lab at the end that you can walk through to replicate what is discussed.
Getting Started with SharePoint: It’s Not Just a Product (Perspectives on SharePoint)
At our Introductory SharePoint courses for SharePoint 2007 and SharePoint 2010 I often meet attendees who are completely new to SharePoint. I like to ask the class what they know already, what they have heard and what is of most concern to them. Many will be expected to carry out some newly learnt tasks as soon as they return to work. For the people who are completely new the response to what have they heard already is frequently similar to this: “It will make us better at collaborating at work, it will automate current manual processes.” For the next question, “What is of most concern?”, answers range from, “It’s a huge learning curve,” to “It’s a complex product,” to “I have so little time to learn all the things my manager wants me to do.”
SharePoint 2013 App Marketplace – First Insights (Furuknap's SharePoint Corner)
Several community comments and a couple of blog posts speculate that SharePoint 15 will have an App store of sorts. Although everything is speculation at this point, there’s clear evidence now that Microsoft will include such an ‘app store’, referred to by Microsoft as “The Marketplace”. You probably know that Microsoft released literally thousands of pages of documentation on SharePoint 15 (or SharePoint 2013, as I believe it will be called). Most comprehensive is the less intelligible open specification documentation, although that’s also where the good bits are.
A Quick Look at the Content Type Editor in Visual Studio 11 (Dot Net Mafia)
Visual Studio 11 introduces a new content type editor that you might find useful when building your next content type. It starts with a SharePoint Project Item that you can pick from the New Item menu. From this screen, give your new content type a name and then you’ll be presented with this next screen allowing you to pick a content type to inherit from. This pulls a list of every content type currently on the site collection that you have your Visual Studio project associated with.
Around Bamboo Nation
Just One Week Remains to Save $300 on Your SPTechCon Registration (The Bamboo Team Blog)
Heads up: Next Friday, February 10, is the cutoff to save $300 on the cost of your registration for SPTechCon 2012 in San Francisco. This year's conference is taking place right in the heart of downtown San Francisco, and will feature the same level of world-class SharePoint speakers that you've come to expect from SPTechCon on both coasts. Jared Spataro will deliver the Microsoft keynote, and Todd Klindt and Shane Young will deliver their own provocatively titled keynote: "Making Nerds Better People." Over 90 sessions will be presented throughout the four-day conference, including such SharePoint notables as (to name just a few of those whose sessions I've covered in the past): Owen Allen, Christian Buckley, Andrew Connell, Bill English, Richard Harbridge, Brett Lonsdale, Mark Rackley, Laura Rogers, and Heather Solomon.
SharePoint Job Listings*
SharePoint Developer - Tampa, Florida
Maxim Healthcare Services' corporate office is currently seeking a SharePoint Developer to study the problems and needs of the Company to determine how people, data, processes, communications, and information technology can best accomplish improvements for the business. This individual will support existing SharePoint applications, and designs, codes, troubleshoots, and supports new applications. Additionally, the SharePoint Developer confers with end-users and Information Services team members to resolve questions on intent and requirements.
Sr. .NET/SharePoint Developer - Houston, Texas
The eTechnology Senior Intranet Developer position is responsible for the implementation of technical solutions to meet the needs of business communities in various divisions leveraging portal and content management systems. In this role, the developer will be working with other developers and project managers to understand the requirements, assist with formulation of technical designs, implement and test the solutions to ensure compliance to requirements and technical standards. The developer will also assist with development support to production web sites.
SharePoint 2010 ECM Code Sample: Content Type Based Metadata (MSDN)
Use this SharePoint 2010 code sample to learn how to apply metadata based on a specified content type. Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 includes metadata defaults based on columns, lists, and folders. However, there may be cases where you want to apply metadata based on a specified content type. For example, if you have a view where you want to order and group content types, you would want to apply metadata by content type.
- February 7, Silicon Valley, California - Get Social. Bicoastal.
- February 7, New York, New York - Get Social. Bicoastal.
- February 8, Online - Rapid Deployment for Army SharePoint Solutions
- February 8, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- February 8, Online - How to Avoid Hybrid SharePoint Migration Headaches
- February 8, Online - Best Practices for Architecting the Optimal Enterprise Search Strategy
- February 9, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- February 14, Online - KMWorld Roundtable: How to Fall in Love with SharePoint
- February 14, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- February 15, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- February 15, Online - Getting the Most Out of SharePoint Search
- February 21, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Administration Webinar
- February 22, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- February 22, Online - Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- February 22, Online - Improve Client Relationships by Making your Extranet Social – PointBridge, AvePoint, NewsGator
- February 23, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- February 23, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- February 26-29, San Francisco, California - SPTechCon
- February 27-29, Johannesburg, South Africa - Share Conference
- February 28, Online - Nalco's Journey of Weaving Social into the Fabric of Their Business – NewsGator
- March 6-8, Denver, Colorado - 2012 NewsGator Collective
- March 20-22, San Francisco, California - AIIM
- March 24, New Orleans, Louisiana - SharePoint Saturday
- April 14, Twin Cities, Minnesota - SharePoint Saturday
- April 16-18, Québec - SharePoint Summit
- April 23-26, Atlanta, Georgia - Share Conference
- April 28, Boston, Massachusetts - SharePoint Saturday
- April 28, Houston, Texas - SharePoint Saturday
- April 30 - May 1, Reston, Virginia - SharePointConference.org
- May 16-16, Toronto, Ontario - SharePoint Summit
- February 7, Online - Bamboo Component Training - Collaboration Enablers I - Bamboo Solutions
- February 8, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- February 9, Online - Bamboo Component Training - Collaboration Enablers II - Bamboo Solutions
- February 13-17, Cleveland, Queensland, Australia - Professional SharePoint Server 2010 Administration - Intelligent Decisioning
- February 16, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- February 21, Online - Project Management Central Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- February 21, Online - Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders - Bamboo Solutions
- February 27-March 2, London, England - Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training - DevelopMentor
- February 28, Online - Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers - Bamboo Solutions
- March 6, Online - Bamboo Component Training - Collaboration Enablers I - Bamboo Solutions
- March 7, Online - Knowledge Base Accelerator Application Administration - Bamboo Solutions
- March 8, Online - Bamboo Component Training - Collaboration Enablers II - Bamboo Solutions
- March 14, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- March 15, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- March 20, Online - Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders - Bamboo Solutions
- March 27, Online - Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers - Bamboo Solutions
- April 11, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- April 17, Online - Bamboo Component Training – List Extenders - Bamboo Solutions
- April 19, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- April 24, Online - Bamboo Component Training – Administration Enhancers - Bamboo Solutions
- April 30-May 4, London, England - Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training - DevelopMentor
* Please contact Chris Dooley (email@example.com) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.
Feb 07 2012, 07:46 AM