What To Expect in SharePoint 15; Mobile Collaboration Thoughts; Windows 8 vs. OS Annoyances
Why do real flying cars not look as cool as they did in The Jetsons? - Dooley
Top News Stories
What To Expect in SharePoint 15 (RedmondMag)
It's no surprise that Microsoft SharePoint is among the most widely deployed platforms for enterprise collaboration, with more than 125 million licenses sold to more than 65,000 enterprise customers. Right now, though, the mystery is all about what to expect from the next major release -- and that's rapidly starting to unravel. Microsoft recently released the first technology preview of the forthcoming upgrade, code-named "SharePoint 15," to selected testers, and the company is gunning for a general beta release this summer. And while Microsoft isn't saying, observers are betting on a commercial release by year's end or in early 2013.
Managing Records in SharePoint 2010: An ARMA Report Review
Bruce Miller has threatened for years to write a book amalgamating his decades of experience in electronic records management. This publication feels like a preview. The Author and the Report: In ARMA International’s Managing Records in Microsoft® SharePoint 2010, Mr. Miller offers a mix of theoretical advice, practical application, metrics and project management guidance. Information Management and Technology matrix teams rejoice: this work is for you.
Thoughts on Mobile Collaboration (AIIM)
Imagine you are George, an information management consultant. In your role, you spend a lot of time on the road, in various customer locations and like many road warriors, in the air. For you collaboration means having access to yours and your customer’s information 24/7 regardless of where you are, with the capability to exchange ideas and project related thoughts in an efficient and expeditious manner. You must be able to effectively communicate, without the ties and bonds of being there in person. In order to do so, you and your clients have to have the right strategies and tools in place that enable you to be mobile, agile and responsive.
Getting to Grips with Microsoft Office 365 (TechRadar)
The trend for businesses to move away from high-cost software in a box in favour of applications hosted online and paid for according to use continues to grow, and this is not a trend that Microsoft has been able to ignore, and so in Summer 2011 launched Microsoft Office 365. Naming the service Microsoft Office 365 gives the instant impression that what's being offered is no more or less than an Internet version of the popular Office suite. But that's misleading, as there's a great deal more to Office 365 than its conventionally licensed cousin.
Windows 8 Vs. 10 Big OS Annoyances (InformationWeek)
Windows 8 is the most controversial product to come out of Microsoft since Office 2007, which stunned longtime users with a radically new ribbon interface that replaced the traditional toolbar-and-menu motif. So what's Windows 8's crime? Well, pretty much the same thing: An extreme makeover designed to keep Windows relevant in a computing marketplace that increasingly favors tablets and smartphones over laptops and desktops. As an InformationWeek reader, you've probably already read up on Windows 8's new Metro interface, so we won't rehash the specifics here. And if you haven't, here's a good overview of what to expect when the new OS ships later this year.
Around the Blogosphere
What are Your Options for a Test Environment with SharePoint Online (Office 365)? (Dot Net Mafia)
I’ve seen this conversation come up a few times. Deploying code to SharePoint Online is not like deploying code to your test and production environments back on-premises. I thought I would give my thoughts on it and that will help you make a better decision. Office 365 is not like Azure in the fact that you can simply spin up another web role for testing. Nor do we have the ability to deploy code to one role and then swap it into production like we can with Azure either. That means we have to get more creative. Sure, you can develop code locally on a local SharePoint 2010 server and deploy it. You can even use Visual Studio 11 to help you publish the solutions to the cloud faster. However, this isn’t necessarily a good “test” environment since SharePoint 2010 and SharePoint Online have a lot of differences.
Episode 55 – Chatting with Peter Ward & Michael McCabe (The MOSS Show SharePoint Podcast)
In this episode we chat with Peter Ward and Michael McCabe, two long-standing ECM practitioners, about their book, their histories and perspectices on Lotus Notes and SharePoint, and the Cloud. We even discuss the death-knell of SharePoint!
Fast Search Server 2010 for SharePoint: Proof of Concept - Part 3: Crawling an External Web Site with the SharePoint 2010 Web Crawler (ITPro)
In the interest of brevity (and lack of time) I am just going to cover what we need to do to crawl a web site for inclusion in the search engine. The configuration we will use will cause the crawler to only read the content found on the explicitly selected site. That means if you tell the crawler to crawl http://www.some-domain.com and the home page to that site has a link to another site the links to the other site will be ignored by the SharePoint 2010 web crawler. Crawl before you walk. Walk before you run. Run so you don't get eaten by a lion. Let's get to it.
SharePoint Item Level Security Means Nothing to the BLOB Cache with Anonymous Access (Keith Richie)
Now hold your horses, you’re saying “Well duh, it’s anonymous access” but follow closely, I’m talking about item level security on items where you have REMOVED Anonymous access. I’m going to show you how security is enforced with default SharePoint security, but broken when the BLOB Cache is enabled. I ran across this issue the other day while working with one of my customers. Initially I was thinking this was a misconfiguration in their environment as it was pretty complex. To eliminate the possibility of it being a configuration issue in their environment, I setup a very simple repro in my lean SharePoint 2010 environment.
Around Bamboo Nation
This Week in Bamboo (March 18th, 2012 - March 24th, 2012) (The Bamboo Team Blog)
This week in Bamboo, File Share Library Release 2.0, Video Library Release 2.0 and Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator Release 2.2 for SharePoint 2010 were released to the storefront with new improvements, new features and some resolved bugs. For details about the latest releases of File Share Library, Video Library and Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator, please see our Product Manager Announcement blogs: Product Release Announcement: File Share Library 2.0, Now Featuring Improved Synchronization , Announcing Video Library 2.0 - Utilize Your Existing File System with File Share Library Integration and Knowledge Base Solution Accelerator: New SharePoint 2010 Release Offers Improved Performance and Usability. For a complete list of bug fixes, great new features, limitations and known issues about this week’s release, please see below.
SharePoint Job Listings*
SharePoint 2010/.Net Developer - Richmond, VA
An exciting opportunity exists at Whitlock for a Senior Application Developer. The Senior Application Developer is responsible for supporting and building custom applications for Whitlock. Primary responsibilities include working with SharePoint, Adobe ColdFusion, ASP.Net, C#, jQuery, SQL and other applicable programming languages. Responsibilities will include working with the business to design and develop web application user interfaces, develop custom reports, produce web services, and design and implement databases for web applications. The successful candidate will build, test, debug, and troubleshoot programs and scripts for various functions and modify existing code to add new features. The right person will be able to "hit the ground running" and "hit the whiteboard with ideas" on their first day. Excellent communication and organizational skills, the ability to multi-task, along with a willingness to learn are requirements for success.
Sr. SharePoint Developer - Herndon, VA
Perform development work for internal SharePoint 2010 sites. Lead the development, maintenance, integration, and support of enterprise SharePoint applications. Create pertinent documentation associated with software development (UML diagrams, design and system specifications, etc.). Partner with systems administrators on testing and migrating applications to Staging/Production environments. Apply generally accepted programming standards and techniques to ensure efficient program logic and data manipulation. Maintain all code and documents in established version control and content repository systems.
Importing SharePoint 2010 Site Definitions in Visual Studio 2010 (MSDN)
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 provides a project type that enables you to import a site definition and add code. You can then deploy this site definition to the SharePoint Solutions Gallery and create new sites based on the site definition.
- April 3, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- April 4, Online - Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- April 5, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- April 10, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Administration Webinar
- April 10, Online - What's new in SharePoint 2010 Central Administration
- April 11, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- April 12, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- April 14, Los Angeles, California - SharePoint Saturday
- April 14, Twin Cities, Minnesota - SharePoint Saturday
- April 16-18, Québec - SharePoint Summit
- April 17, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- April 19, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- April 19, Online – Accenture: From Knowledge Management to Social Learning
- April 19-20, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - ShareFEST - The SharePoint Conference for Life Sciences
- April 23-25, London, England - International SharePoint Conference
- April 23-26, Atlanta, Georgia - Share Conference
- April 24, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- April 27, Online - 5 Risky SharePoint Training Temptations
- April 28, Boston, Massachusetts - SharePoint Saturday
- April 28, Houston, Texas - SharePoint Saturday
- April 28, Brussel, Belgium, SharePoint Saturday
- April 29 - May 2, Reston, Virginia - SharePointConference.org
- May 12, Baltimore, Maryland - SharePoint Saturday
- May 14-16, Toronto, Ontario - SharePoint Summit
- May 19, Johannesburg, South Africa - SharePoint Saturday
- May 23, Online - 5 Risky SharePoint Human Resource Temptations
- June 21, Online - Executives Beware: 5 Risky SharePoint Temptations for Executives
- April 3, Online - Workflow Conductor Designer Training - Bamboo Solutions
- April 3, Nashville, Tennessee - InfoPath 2010 and SharePoint 2010 No-Code Workflow Deep Dive - SharePoint Solutions
- April 3-6, Houston, Texas - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- April 3-6, Online - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- April 9-13, San Antonio, Texas - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- April 9-13, Online - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- April 11, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- April 12-13, Online - InfoPath 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- April 13, Online - Bamboo Select Training - Bamboo Solutions
- April 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- April 16-20, Online - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- April 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint Designer 2010 - Mindsharp
- April 16-20, Online - SharePoint Designer 2010 - Mindsharp
- April 17, Chicago, Illinois - Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 - SharePoint Solutions
- April 17, Chicago, Illinois - Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 - SharePoint Solutions
- April 18, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- April 19, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- April 23-26, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- April 23-26, Online - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- April 23-27, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- April 23-27, Online - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- April 23-27, Phoenix Arizona - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- April 23-27, Online - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- April 24, Dallas, Texas - Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators - SharePoint Solutions
- April 30-May 4, London, England - Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training - DevelopMentor
- May 1, Online - Workflow Conductor Designer Training - Bamboo Solutions
- May 7-11, Seattle, Washington - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- May 7-11, Online - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- May11, Online - Bamboo Select Training - Bamboo Solutions
- May 14-18, San Antonio, Texas - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- May 14-18, Online - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- May 16, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- May 17, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- May 17-18, Washington, D.C. - Delivering SharePoint Success Mentoring Workshop - Innovative-e
- May 21-25, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- May 21-25, Online - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- May 21-25, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- May 21-25, Online - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- May 30-31, Online - InfoPath 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
* Please contact Chris Dooley (email@example.com) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.
Apr 03 2012, 07:54 AM
Filed under: SharePoint Events, SharePoint Training, SharePoint Jobs, Windows 8, SharePoint 2010 Records Management, Microsoft Office 365, Mobile Collaboration, SharePoint 15, Fast Search Server 2010 for SharePoint, SharePoint Online Test Environment, Office 365 Test Environment, SharePoint Item Level Security
Please sign into Bamboo Nation to leave a comment.
About Chris Dooley
As Marketing Manager for Bamboo Solutions, Chris Dooley is responsible for overseeing all marketing efforts made towards identifying, creating, and evaluating strategies to promote the services and products offered by the company. He brings more than eight years of marketing experience to his position, with a strong focus on social media marketing stemming from his time of employment with America Online prior to Bamboo Solutions. During his time with AOL as a Senior Program Manager, Chris was responsible for creating the advertising processes for AOL Messaging and Social Media and co- founded AOL’s ComicsAlliance. In his role as Marketing Manager for Bamboo Solutions, he continues to carry out his extensive knowledge of social media marketing by establishing the need for the company’s products and services worldwide through emphasizing and initiating global marketing efforts. Chris studied Programming at Georgia Perimeter College.