SharePoint, Social Metrics & Web Experiences; Automated Office 365 Installs; Focusing on Mobile Cloud
Bamboo teams are headed to London for the International SharePoint Conference and Atlanta for Share Conference 20112. If you are attending be sure to stop by and say Hello. - Dooley
Top News Stories
SharePoint, Social Metrics, Web Experiences: Experts Weigh In (CMSWire)
Does anyone else find it eerie that the SharePoint 15 roadmap leaked today, following a week of sound advice from our experts on how to better manage your current SharePoint environment, which will ease any future migrations? Spooky. A conversation was started that we bet will continue about the value (or lack therein) of social media metrics, found out that pretty much everyone likes cupcakes and heard some hard won wisdom gained from years in the field for how to best improve business performance.
With Cloud Focus, Office 15 Gives Microsoft Subscription Opportunity
Microsoft is expected to launch the next version of its popular productivity software suite – Office 15 – in 2013. It is currently testing out development versions of Office 15 in the Technical Preview stage, and is expected to launch a public beta version by summer 2012. Office 15 will offer a completely redesigned interface, optimized for touch-based tablets as well as standard notebooks. Microsoft Office competes primarily with Google Docs, Apple iWork and open-source alternatives like Open Office and Libre Office.
Microsoft Automates Office 365 Installs (The Register)
Microsoft has updated its automated software development tools to the new Microsoft Deployment Toolkit (MDT) 2012, and in a sign it wants to push its cloudy productivity has added the ability to automate Office 365 deployments. Details are sketchy at present, but the download page for the software promises “Comprehensive tools and guidance to efficiently manage large-scale deployments of Windows 7 and Microsoft Office 365.” That's a step up from the “Office 365 Assessment Report” offered in the tool's predecessor, the Microsoft Assessment and Planning (MAP) Toolkit, which did little more than check if PCs were capable of running Office 365.
Microsoft Seen Betting Big With Windows 8 (Nasdaq)
Microsoft Corp.'s share gains Friday were partly due to high expectations around Windows 8, the new version of its operating system, which analysts see as the company's chance to shine in a fast-changing computing market. Windows 8, which is expected to launch later this year, is supposed to offer dramatically enhanced features, including capabilities commonly found in smartphones and tablets--like being able to boot up instantly or navigating a screen with the touch of a finger.
The Download: Microsoft’s Focus is on Mobile Cloud, CEO Says (The Washington Post)
Steve Ballmer keeps a paperless office. The Microsoft chief executive told a crowd of high-tech executives at a Northern Virginia Technology Council gathering in Tysons Corner last week that his workspace is now anchored by handheld computers and a large, digital monitor. It’s a fitting anecdote for a company that’s trying to establish its prowess in mobile technology, cloud computing and big data analytics as those technology trends continue to captivate consumers and companies alike.
Around the Blogosphere
Three-tier Farm Test Lab Guide (TLG) for SharePoint Server 2010 Published (To the SharePoint)
The Test Lab Guide: Configure SharePoint Server 2010 in a Three-Tier Farm describes how to install and configure SharePoint Server 2010 in a three-tier farm configuration (web front end/application server/database server), starting with the computers in the Base Configuration test lab. Here is the resulting test lab configuration.
Quick Tips On Working with Development of SharePoint 2010 under Visual Studio 2010 (SharePointDevWiki)
Once you start working on a new SharePoint 2010 project you will need to launch Visual Studio as an administrator. The SharePoint projects in Visual Studio require administrator privileges to interact with SharePoint. To launch Visual Studio as an administrator, locate the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 shortcut in the Start Menu under All Programs >> Microsoft Visual Studio 2010. Right click on the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 shortcut. You can choose Run as administrator from the context menu to run Visual Studio as an administrator. Alternatively, if you just want to make Visual Studio start up with administrator privileges every time you launch it, you can change the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 shortcut properties to always run as administrator. To do this, right click on the Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 shortcut and choose Properties. Click the Compatibility tab then check the Run this program as an administrator check box and press OK.
Little Trick for Building/Opening SharePoint Projects in Client OS’ w/o Installing SharePoint (Andrew Connell)
If you’re like me, you stay away from installing SharePoint on your client OS (Windows 7) and just put it on your server OS and run within a VM. However there are times you want to pop into Visual Studio without firing up a VM and exploring the code. Of course you can do that, but it gets tricky when you want to build or run unit tests.
Around Bamboo Nation
How to Manage the Scoring Rules for Forum & Blog Sites in Community Central via User Activity & Site Members (The Bamboo Team Blog)
Community Central for SharePoint 2010 provides a site template which is integrated with many functions which differ from, and enhance, the available features in SharePoint 2010 out-of-the-box. Some of these additional features include: mark sticky; lock item for thread; verify answer; mark suggest answer; and providing ratings for posts. In addition, one of the standout features of Community Central is its ability to calculate a score for each action which has been completed by users. In this post, we'll take a look at how to manage the Scoring Rules for Forum and Blog sites in Community Central.
SharePoint Job Listings*
SharePoint Records Manager - Sacramento, CA
We have an immediate opportunity for a Records Manager to work on the California High Speed Rail project in Sacramento, reporting directly to the Program Operations Manager. The Records Manager will be responsible for the effective management of all project records, will advise on records management issues and strategic activities, including records management configurations in SharePoint Enterprise 2010 including, Document Center, Records Center, Workflows.
SharePoint Developer - Arlington, Virginia
The SharePoint developer will design and implement solutions based on Microsoft SharePoint Products and Technologies. The selected candidate will cross over into several areas of SharePoint specialization including creating web parts, working with master pages, creating and customizing CSS, and SQL Server Reporting Services. The selected candidate will work with the project manager and customer to implement feature enhancements requested by senior management. The candidate will work closely with the project manager during daily meetings to implement the features being released during the current sprint. The candidate will leverage their knowledge and experience to add value to the customer and be recognized as a leader in this area.
Importing SharePoint 2010 Site Definitions in Visual Studio 2010 (MSDN)
Microsoft Visual Studio 2010 provides a project type that enables you to import a site definition and add code. You can then deploy this site definition to the SharePoint Solutions Gallery and create new sites based on the site definition
- April 23-25, London, England - International SharePoint Conference
- April 23-26, Atlanta, Georgia - Share Conference
- April 24, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- April 24, Online - Expert 'Tips and Tricks' For Managing Events using Microsoft SharePoint
- April 27, Online - 5 Risky SharePoint Training Temptations
- April 27, Vaughan, Canada - Implementing and Maintaining a 21 CFR Part 11 Compliant eDMS
- April 27, Vaughan, Canada - Simplifying Regulatory Compliance - From Document Creation to Publishing
- April 28, Boston, Massachusetts - SharePoint Saturday
- April 28, Houston, Texas - SharePoint Saturday
- April 28, Brussel, Belgium, SharePoint Saturday
- April 29 - May 2, Reston, Virginia - SharePointConference.org
- May 2, Online - Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- May 3, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- May 3, Online - Office 365 in the Real World
- May 8, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- May 9, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- May 10, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- May 12, Baltimore, Maryland - SharePoint Saturday
- May 14-16, Toronto, Ontario - SharePoint Summit
- May 19, Johannesburg, South Africa - SharePoint Saturday
- May 19, Portland - SharePoint Saturday
- May 22, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- May 23, Online - 5 Risky SharePoint Human Resource Temptations
- May 24, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- May 24, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- May 26, Brisbane, Australia - SharePoint Saturday
- June 2, St. Louis, Missouri - SharePoint Saturday
- June 2, Silicon Valley - SharePoint Saturday
- June 2, Atlanta, Georgia - SharePoint Saturday
- June 9, Orlando, Florida - SharePoint Saturday
- June 21, Online - Executives Beware: 5 Risky SharePoint Temptations for Executives
- June 30, Dayton, Ohio - SharePoint Saturday
- June 30, Adelaide, Australia - SharePoint Saturday
- April 23-26, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- April 23-26, Online - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- April 23-27, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- April 23-27, Online - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- April 23-27, Phoenix Arizona - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- April 23-27, Online - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- April 24, Dallas, Texas - Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators - SharePoint Solutions
- April 30-May 4, London, England - Essential SharePoint 2010 for Developers Training - DevelopMentor
- May 1, Online - Workflow Conductor Designer Training - Bamboo Solutions
- May 7-11, Seattle, Washington - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- May 7-11, Online - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- May11, Online - Bamboo Select Training - Bamboo Solutions
- May 14-18, San Antonio, Texas - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- May 14-18, Online - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- May 16, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- May 17, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- May 17-18, Washington, D.C. - Delivering SharePoint Success Mentoring Workshop - Innovative-e
- May 21-25, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- May 21-25, Online - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- May 21-25, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- May 21-25, Online - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- May 30-31, Online - InfoPath 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
* Please contact Chris Dooley (email@example.com) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.
Apr 23 2012, 07:30 AM
Filed under: SharePoint Projects, SharePoint Events, SharePoint Training, SharePoint Jobs, Windows 8, SharePoint, Office 15, Three-tier Farm Test Lab Guide for SharePoint Server 2010, Web Experiences, Social Metrics, Development of SharePoint 2010, Automated Office 365 Install, Mobile Cloud
Please sign into Bamboo Nation to leave a comment.
About Chris Dooley
As Marketing Lead for Bamboo Solutions, Chris Dooley is responsible for overseeing all marketing efforts made towards identifying, creating, and evaluating strategies to promote the services and products offered by the company. He brings more than eight years of marketing experience to his position, with a strong focus on social media marketing stemming from his time of employment with America Online prior to Bamboo Solutions. During his time with AOL as a Senior Program Manager, Chris was responsible for creating the advertising processes for AOL Messaging and Social Media and co- founded AOL’s ComicsAlliance. In his role as Marketing Lead for Bamboo Solutions, he continues to carry out his extensive knowledge of social media marketing by establishing the need for the company’s products and services worldwide through emphasizing and initiating global marketing efforts. Chris studied Programming at Georgia Perimeter College.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Google+