SharePoint Content Organization; Windows RT Browser Restrictions; When Databases Rebel
WTF? When I left yesterday I had 2-3 unread emails in my inbox. When I got to the office this morning I had over 550. And another 150 more in the last hour. I'm going home now... - Dooley
Top News Stories
Organize SharePoint Content: Don't Upgrade Your Mess (CMSWire)
It’s a common story. An employee reads about how SharePoint is a great tool for document sharing and collaboration, a great place for teams to work on projects, a great tool for the company intranet. They go out, get approval for the software, get IT to install it on a server(s) and then they start moving documents and content over from file shares, from desktop folders, from old databases. Everyone starts to use it. Oddly though, no one is happy.
SharePoint Log: When Databases Rebel
Creating a structure for our SharePoint 2010 installation was clearly central to providing an effective service. One plan was to split the intranet into around seven chunks, one for each faculty and an extra one for our central non-academic departments. Each of these would be a separate site collection (and thus database). Within each collection will be sub-sites for schools and for individual departments.
Microwave Ovens and Information Systems (AIIM)
Nothing drives me crazier than see organizations throw gobs of money after information systems that were purchased without sufficient diligence being done up front about what they actually need those systems to do. Too often, figuring this out gets derailed by petty politics and business-as-usual, and the result is a technology that later is disparaged as being less than good.
Should Microsoft Pay for Restricting Browsers on Windows RT? (CIO)
Given Microsoft's monopolistic past, it's not surprising that Mozilla and Google are making a stink about Microsoft's decision to favor Internet Explorer on Windows RT, the company's upcoming OS that will run on ARM-based devices. Last week, Mozilla alleged that Microsoft is unfairly putting the Internet Explorer browser (IE10) at an advantage within Windows RT by restricting third-party browsers like Firefox and Chrome to the Metro sandbox with shaky API support, and also blocking the desktop versions of those browsers on Windows RT.
Windows 8: Multi-monitors and Double Standards? (PC Magazine)
I’m encouraged by reports that Microsoft has been working to improve multi-monitor support in the Release Preview of Windows 8. Admittedly, the information emerged in a rather strange way: it was published on Tuesday night on the MSDN “Building Windows 8” blog, then rapidly removed again for reasons unknown. But there’s no reason to doubt the details – after all, they came from an impeccable source, namely Microsoft’s Mark Yalovsky.
Windows Phone: Great OS, Bad Name (Byte)
Branding is important. People are comfortable with brands they trust and uncomfortable with brands they distrust. "Windows" isn't all that bad a brand overall, but in the smart phone market it doesn't gain trust. This is a shame because Windows Phone is a great operating system. Unfortunately, it's not a product. When you buy a desktop or notebook PC, you may be buying a Dell or Lenovo or HP, but you're also keenly aware that you are buying a Windows computer. Not so with phones for most consumers.
Around the Blogosphere
Code to Interfaces. Right. What’s an Interface? (Fear and Loathing)
The premise of coding to interfaces has been around for a while now. The concept is simple. Given a definition of something you create things based on that definition. That might be a horrible description of an interface but I didn’t want to go all Computer Science on you.
SharePoint: Get Started with jQuery - Part 2 (SharePointDevWiki)
Last week we took a look at implementing our first jQuery control in SharePoint. The result was a simple transformation of the quick navigation menu into a tree view. We saw the potential of what we could do with jQuery in SharePoint by simply adding a link inside our master page that referenced the library hosted on public servers. This method was the quickest way to deploy jQuery but was it the best way? What about SharePoint sites that are not meant to access the internet? We can’t have their pages reference a public hosting of jQuery. Let’s take a look at alternative ways of deploying jQuery in our SharePoint environment.
Hack SharePoint Master Pages: Part 1 (EndUserSharePoint)
As I indicated in my introduction article, I’m going to write a series for the power user about master pages. In the first article, I explained the different branding steps and what a master page is. In this second article, I’m going to explain how the master pages are used in SharePoint.
SharePoint Vendor Baseball - Three Strikes And They're OUT! (SharePoint Joel's SharePoint Land)
Here are 10 criteria that you should be watching out for and Vendors should be paying attention to... Otherwise it's... 3 strikes and you're out!
Around Bamboo Nation
Assessing One's Own Project Management Skills (The Bottom-Line PM)
The confluence of our busy season at work and a distinct lack of inspiration lately has had me floundering for topics to cover. I haven't been doing very project manager-y things at work lately, so the wellspring from which I usually draw topics has been pretty dry.
SharePoint Job Listings*
Support Technician - Reston, Virginia
This is a full-time, junior position, reporting to the Manager of Customer Support, with the opportunity to advance as the company grows. As our customers embrace Microsoft SharePoint in their organization, our products are used in more and more business critical applications across the customer enterprise. New customers often come to Bamboo for one or two web parts, but over time as the use of SharePoint expands in their organization, they come back for more web parts, applications, and eventually to purchase our entire suite of products. Therefore, we need to ensure that our customers have an exceptional experience with our product and service all of the time.
SharePoint Technical Writer - Reston, Virginia
The primary responsibility for this position is working with the product management team and technical resources to develop, write, and maintain software installation, configuration and usage instructions, online knowledge base content, supporting blog articles, quick start guides, supporting graphics, and web content for our online storefront.
National Careers Service Website on Track to Meet the Needs of 20 Million Citizens (Microsoft Case Studies)
The National Careers Service for England is a United Kingdom (U.K.) government initiative. The Skills Funding Agency is responsible for developing the service, built around an interactive learning and careers website. Working with Microsoft Services and using Microsoft SharePoint Server 2010 communications and collaboration software, the agency is confident that its site meets government expectations and the needs of 20 million users.
- May 17, Online (APAC Region) – Capture, Leverage, and Archive Your Social Content with NewsGator and AvePoint
- May 18, Online - Plotting a course for SharePoint in the Enterprise
- May 19, Johannesburg, South Africa - SharePoint Saturday
- May 19, Portland - SharePoint Saturday
- May 22, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- May 23, Online - 5 Risky SharePoint Human Resource Temptations
- May 23, Online - How to Slash SharePoint Development Costs and Get More from Your Investment
- May 24, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- May 24, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- May 26, Brisbane, Australia - SharePoint Saturday
- May 31, Birmingham, U.K. - Effective SharePoint Requirements with Serious Games
- June 2, St. Louis, Missouri - SharePoint Saturday
- June 2, Silicon Valley - SharePoint Saturday
- June 2, Atlanta, Georgia - SharePoint Saturday
- June 6, Online (APAC Region) – Why Social at Stockland, Why Right Now?
- June 6, Online - The Essentials of SharePoint Disaster Recovery Planning
- June 9, Orlando, Florida - SharePoint Saturday
- June 20, Online - Selecting and Protecting the Right SharePoint Backup Targets
- June 21, Online - Executives Beware: 5 Risky SharePoint Temptations for Executives
- June 25-27, Denver, Colorado - SharePoint Fest
- June 30, Dayton, Ohio - SharePoint Saturday
- June 30, Adelaide, Australia - SharePoint Saturday
- September 25-27, Chicago, Illinois - SharePoint Fest
- May 17, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- May 17-18, Washington, D.C. - Delivering SharePoint Success Mentoring Workshop - Innovative-e
- May 21-25, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- May 21-25, Online - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- May 21-25, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- May 21-25, Online - SharePoint Foundation 2010 Developer - Mindsharp
- May 22-25, Chicago, Illinois – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- May 25, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- May 30-31, Online - InfoPath 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- May 30-31, Nashville, Tennessee – Exploring SharePoint 2010 – New Features – SharePoint Solutions
- June 4-8, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - SharePoint 2010 Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- June 4-8, Washington, D.C. - SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer - Mindsharp
- June 5, Online - Workflow Conductor Designer Training - Bamboo Solutions
- June 5-6, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- June 5-7, Arlington, Virginia – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- June 5-8, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- June 7, Huntsville, Alabama - SharePoint Re-Design And User Adoption Seminar - Mindsharp
- June 8, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- June 11-15, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Advanced Administrator - Mindsharp
- June 11-15, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer - Mindsharp
- June 12-15, Dallas, Texas – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- June 18-21, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- June 18-22, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer - Mindsharp
- June 20, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Session 1 - Bamboo Solutions
- June 21, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Session 2 - Bamboo Solutions
- June 25-29, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- June 26-27, Arlington, Virginia – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- June 26-29, Arlington, Virginia – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 3, Online - Workflow Conductor Designer Training - Bamboo Solutions
- July 9-13, Online - SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer - Mindsharp
- July 10-13, Nashville, Tennessee – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- July 10-13, Online - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- July 13, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Advanced Developer - Mindsharp
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Designer - Mindsharp
- July 17-18, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 17-20, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Session 2 - Bamboo Solutions
- July 19, Online - SharePoint Re-Design And User Adoption Seminar - Mindsharp
- July 23-27, Online - SharePoint 2010 Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- July 24-26, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- July 30-Aug 3, Online - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- July 30-Aug 3, Online - SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer - Mindsharp
* Please contact Chris Dooley (email@example.com) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.
May 17 2012, 07:35 AM
Filed under: SharePoint Events, SharePoint Training, SharePoint Jobs, jQuery and SharePoint, Windows Phone, Information Systems, SharePoint Log, SharePoint Content, Windows 8 Multi-monitors, SharePoint Master Pages, Windows RT Browser Restrictions, Interface
Please sign into Bamboo Nation to leave a comment.
About Chris Dooley
Chris brings more than eight years of marketing experience to his position, with a strong focus on social media marketing stemming from his time of employment with America Online prior to Bamboo Solutions. During his time with AOL as a Senior Program Manager, Chris was responsible for creating the advertising processes for AOL Messaging and Social Media and co- founded AOL’s ComicsAlliance. In his role as Content and Event
Manager for Bamboo Solutions, he continues to carry out his extensive knowledge of social media marketing by establishing the need for the company’s products and services worldwide through emphasizing and initiating global marketing efforts. Chris studied Programming at Georgia Perimeter College.