I think all weekends should be 3 days. - Dooley
Top News Stories
SharePoint 2010 Search: Relevance, Refinement, People (CMSWire)
This is the fifth article in this series “What is This SharePoint Thing All About Anyway?” In previous articles we have discussed all of the great ways that you can add content to SharePoint and now we are going to highlight the powerful Search features available to help you access and locate the data once it exists within the site.
Last week, I talked about a great event that the New England chapter had just held. Today, I want to hang onto the support-your-local-chapter theme for one more post. I know, this is an AIIM Expert SharePoint blog – OK, that’s a fair comment, but let me point out that two of our chapter events in 2011-12 were SharePoint events. In November, Jill Hart and I teamed up to talk about why and how Usability Matters. My portion was focused on SharePoint; Jill’s was applicable to everything. In March, the AIIM NE chapter partnered with ARMA Boston to present a panel discussion on the subject of SharePoint for Records Management. Both of these events benefited from the live setting of a chapter event, and both served our members well.
Internet Explorer 10: Even Microsoft Can't Make it Work (InfoWorld)
If your company has an outward facing website, you're probably braced for the enormous changes that will come when Internet Explorer 10 and Windows 8 hit in a few months. But if Microsoft's own sites are any indication, you might find yourself reduced to curling up in a fetal position -- or looking for a new job.
Nobody Ever Got Fired for Partnering with Azure. Yet (CloudPro)
Despite the widely reported outage on Windows Azure this February, Microsoft’s virtual services offering appears to be suffering from no lack of technical partners wishing to evidence some level of interoperability with its cloud computing platform. AppFog for one has this week said that the next version of its PaaS for developers who use multiple cloud platforms will be Azure-compliant.
Unless Microsoft Pulls an Apple, They Won’t Bet the Company on Windows 8 (ZDNet)
Like many of us who ply the geek trade, I’ve been giving Windows 8 a lot of thought. Like you, I’ve been wondering about Microsoft’s foray into whole Metro thing, and just how much trouble it’ll make for us IT folks and users in general. ZDNet Editor in Chief Larry Dignan’s recent article Windows 8: Give Microsoft credit for betting the farm had me ruminating on this all weekend. Is Microsoft really betting the farm on Windows 8?
Windows 8 Nears the Finish Line: What's Good, What's Bad (ComputerWorld)
The Windows 8 Release Preview arrived ahead of schedule, and I've spent the past week pounding on it. For those of you accustomed to the earlier Consumer Preview, many of the changes hardly rate a yawn. But some show that Microsoft's not down for the count just yet.
Around the Blogosphere
Why Haven’t You Patched Your SharePoint Farm? (The SharePoint Farmer's Almanac)
AHHH! It seems a week doesn't go by that I don't find some ancient SharePoint farm lying around. Just recently I found such an environment that one of our customers was using. I swear this last one was used by the ancient Egyptians and was using the Hieroglyphs language pack. As of May 29, 2012 that farm is running SharePoint Server 2007 RTM. RTM? Yes, you know the thing that came out on November 11, 2006. That was 2,026 days ago! Can you imagine not patching your server for over 2,000 days? That is just crazy! Oh, and in case you were wondering, this was one of their production farms. (And don't get me started on the insanity of having multiple production farms without really good reasons, which they didn't have.)
Take Control of Your Log Files (SharePoint (and Project Server) Shenanigans)
Everyone knows about SharePoint’s ULS logs, these are written by the SharePoint tracing service. To the location set in Central Admin –> Monitoring –> Configure Diagnostic logging. You also have a couple of options to control the number of logs created and /or the amount of space used making SharePoint log space friendly, you should be writing the logs to a non-system drive. But what about IIS ? In IIS logging can either be on or off, and you can change their location, but that’s about it.
SharePoint Feature Stapling: Staple the Feature (SharePointDevWiki)
In the last article we went through and created ourselves a site collection scoped hidden utility feature that changed some properties in the root web’s property bag and also switched the locale to English (Australia). This time I am going to show you just how easy it is to staple this feature, so that the feature will get activated when a new site collection is created, thus having consistency between all site collections that are created.
No-code Adding AJAX to Search Results Paging in SharePoint 2010 (Waldek Mastykarz)
When searching in SharePoint 2010 you can use the Search Paging Web Part to switch between pages. By default this will redirect you to the next search results page. Did you know however, that you can easily enhance this experience with AJAX without custom development?
Around Bamboo Nation
Using Common DLLs in Sandboxed Solutions (SharePoint 2010)
Office 365 brings a wealth of new possibilities to the development community. In a recent article, Hong Kong alone saw a 250% increase in new customers since the Office 365launch in June last year. For the SharePoint community, Office 365 provides the "SharePoint Online" program built upon SharePoint 2010 technology. One of the many capabilities of the SharePoint 2010 technology is the ability to create visual components called Web Parts to display various bits of information. SharePoint Online provides this capability, although in a limited capacity called "Sandbox Solutions." For more information about Sandbox Solutions and their capabilities (and limitations) see Sandbox Solution Considerations by MSDN, and Understanding the SharePoint 2010 Sandbox Limitations by Wictor Wilen.
Free E-book from Microsoft: Introducing Windows Server 2012 (The Bamboo Team Blog)
Who doesn't love getting something valuable for free? Microsoft has released a free e-book that provides 280 pages of insight into the new Windows Server 2012. I recently came across this while reviewing recent posts to one of the many useful Facebook Groups called VNCloud. I had just downloaded the Release Candidate of Windows Server 2012, so the timing is perfect. Ah the simple joys of being a geek... happy exploring!
SharePoint Job Listings*
SharePoint Marketing Associate - Reston, Virginia
Bamboo Solutions is currently accepting applications for a full time, entry level Marketing Associate. Assist with leading the graphic design for in-house Web and print; collaboration with the Web Design team in Vietnam; copy write assistance with CRM campaigns, press releases; creation of product and event marketing materials.
SharePoint Support Technician - Reston, Virginia
As our customers embrace Microsoft SharePoint in their organization, our products are used in more and more business critical applications across the customer enterprise. New customers often come to Bamboo for one or two web parts, but over time as the use of SharePoint expands in their organization, they come back for more web parts, applications, and eventually to purchase our entire suite of products. Therefore, we need to ensure that our customers have an exceptional experience with our product and service all of the time.
Office 911: Unify Domains with Office 365 (Channel 9)
If you've got a bazillion different domains from all kinds of services, Office 365 has a better way to bring it all together and give your customers an easy way to interact with you.
- June 13, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- June 13, Online - Approaches to Search-Based Applications using SharePoint, FAST and 3rd-Party tools
- June 14, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- June 14, Online - Critical Path Training No Cost Webinar Series: Developers Approach to Search Applications with Matthew McDermott
- June 19, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- June 19, Online - Managed Metadata Maturity: Case Studies of Enterprise Information Management in SharePoint 2010
- June 20, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- June 20, Online - Selecting and Protecting the Right SharePoint Backup Targets
- June 20, Online - Understanding SharePoint Metadata and it's Application to the Information Lifecycle
- June 21, Online - Executives Beware: 5 Risky SharePoint Temptations for Executives
- June 25-27, Denver, Colorado - SharePoint Fest
- June 26, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- June 27, Online - SharePoint Portal Solutions - Aligning Business Process, User Needs and Content
- June 28, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- June 30, Dayton, Ohio - SharePoint Saturday
- June 30, Adelaide, Australia - SharePoint Saturday
- June 30, San Diego, California - SharePoint Saturday
- July 7, Toronto, ON - SharePoint Saturday
- July 28, New York, New York - SharePoint Saturday
- July 28, Louisville, Kentucky - SharePoint Saturday
- September 25-27, Chicago, Illinois - SharePoint Fest
- June 11-15, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Advanced Administrator - Mindsharp
- June 11-15, Calgary, Alberta, Canada - SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer - Mindsharp
- June 12-15, Dallas, Texas – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- June 18-21, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- June 18-22, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer - Mindsharp
- June 20, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- June 20-22, Calgary, AB - SharePoint Information Architecture - How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint - Earley & Associates
- June 21, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Session 2 - Bamboo Solutions
- June 25-29, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- June 26, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- June 26-27, Arlington, Virginia – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- June 26-29, Arlington, Virginia – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 3, Online - Workflow Conductor Designer Training - Bamboo Solutions
- July 9-13, Online - SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer - Mindsharp
- July 10-13, Nashville, Tennessee – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- July 10-13, Online - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- July 13, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Advanced Developer - Mindsharp
- July 16-20, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Designer - Mindsharp
- July 17-18, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 17-20, Chicago, Illinois – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- July 18, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- July, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Session 2 - Bamboo Solutions
- July 19, Online - SharePoint Re-Design And User Adoption Seminar - Mindsharp
- July 23-27, Online - SharePoint 2010 Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- July 24, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- July 24-26, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- July 30-Aug 3, Online - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- July 30-Aug 3, Online - SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer - Mindsharp
- August 1-3, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint Information Architecture - How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint- Earley & Associates
- August 7, Online - Workflow Conductor Designer Training - Bamboo Solutions
- August 22, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- August 24, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- August 28, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- August 28-30, Toronto, ON - SharePoint Information Architecture - How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint - Earley & Associates
* Please contact Chris Dooley (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.
Jun 11 2012, 07:46 AM
Filed under: Windows Azure, SharePoint Events, SharePoint Training, SharePoint Jobs, Windows 8, SharePoint 2010 Search, IE10, SharePoint Log Files, SharePoint Farm Patches, SharePoint Feature Stapling, SharePoint 2010 AJAX Search Results Paging
As Marketing Manager for Bamboo Solutions, Chris Dooley is responsible for overseeing all marketing efforts made towards identifying, creating, and evaluating strategies to promote the services and products offered by the company. He brings more than eight years of marketing experience to his position, with a strong focus on social media marketing stemming from his time of employment with America Online prior to Bamboo Solutions. During his time with AOL as a Senior Program Manager, Chris was responsible for creating the advertising processes for AOL Messaging and Social Media and co- founded AOL’s ComicsAlliance. In his role as Marketing Manager for Bamboo Solutions, he continues to carry out his extensive knowledge of social media marketing by establishing the need for the company’s products and services worldwide through emphasizing and initiating global marketing efforts. Chris studied Programming at Georgia Perimeter College.