SharePoint as a Content Organizer; Slow Adoption for Cloud-based Productivity Apps; IE10 Benchmarks
Didn't Darwin have something to say about this? - Dooley
Top News Stories
SharePoint Capability of Managing Content and the Content Organizer (AIIM)
A SharePoint capability to look at is managing ‘content’. ‘Content’ is used here as a shortened form of “enterprise content and records management” which is often referred to by the acronym “ECRM”. Enterprise content and records management covers a wide variety of types of content and content management. These include document management, digital asset management, web content management, and records management. Despite the different forms of content, and their many different uses, the management of content – no matter what its type – is substantially similar. As a general rule, content exists to serve a particular purpose, and goes through a definable lifecycle as it is created, put to use, and then disposed of.
SharePoint 2013: These Are a Few of My Favorite Things
The public beta of SharePoint 2013 is now available for download. Like everyone, we found lots of interesting things in this new version. Here are a few of our favorite things.
Internet Explorer 10: Analysed and Benchmarked (ITProPortal)
SMBs Slow to Adopt Cloud-based Productivity Applications (ZDNet)
More than 60 percent of small and midsize businesses (SMBs) are using or plan to use cloud-based file sharing services, but only 20 percent are considering the cloud for applications such as spreadsheets, word processors, presentation creation and other productivity applications. That's one of the key findings of a new survey by Spiceworks, an IT professional social network, that was sponsored by high-tech vendor EMC. The Spiceworks research reflects the options of 323 users across North American and EMEA (Europe, Middle East and Africa).
Microsoft Sizes Up Its Competitors for 2013 (ZDNet)
Reading a company’s annual 10-K report can lead to unexpected insights. But comparing the contents of this year’s report to that of the previous year is even more useful. That’s how I was able to spot some of the trends I highlighted yesterday in my post, “Microsoft's radical new business plan is hidden in plain sight.” For this follow-up, I’ll share some of my tricks of the trade and let you follow along as I use Microsoft’s own software and services to analyze the contents of its SEC filings.
There's Hope for Windows Phone: European Sales Jump in July (ComputerWorld)
Windows Phone has gotten a much-needed piece of good news: European sales have been up by 24% in July, likely driven by the success of the Nokia Lumia 610 and 900 smartphones. True, that's starting from a small installed base, but at this point, Microsoft will take any piece of good news about the platform it can get.
Microsoft's Radical New Business Plan is Hidden in Plain Sight (ZDNet)
Every publicly held corporation whose stock trades in the United States is required by the Securities and Exchange Commission to file a detailed annual report (Form 10-K) at the end of its fiscal year. Call me weird, but I love reading 10-Ks. I especially love reading the parts that make corporate lawyers and executives squirm, because they’re required to divulge details they would never discuss with journalists. And although there’s a fair amount of boilerplate and yadda yadda, there’s also a lot of substance buried in these reports.
Around the Blogosphere
Why We Need a SharePoint 2013 Marketplace (SharePointDevWiki)
I’ve been working in SharePoint now since SharePoint 2003 and am a 3 time SharePoint MVP. I eat, live, sleep this stuff. When I found out that there would be a marketplace in SharePoint I immediately thought “opportunity”…and to be honest “SharePoint Fart App”. In all seriousness this is an amazing opportunity to get Microsoft ISV Partners exposure to SharePoint users both in Multi-Tenant environments like Office 365 and in Full-Control environments. I expect the usual suspects to be a part of this and it’s great to see Kodak and Pingar already in the SharePoint marketplace with apps from AvePoint, GimmalSoft, Lightning Tools, Nintex “coming soon”.
Enabling Office Web Apps Preview Editing with SharePoint 2013 Preview Licensing (harbar.net)
As you may be aware there are a veritable ton of cool new capabilities in the latest release of Office Web Apps Preview. It really is a killer piece of tech. This post walks you through how to configure Office Web Apps editing in your SharePoint farm, which is not as “automatic” as you may imagine. We’ll also take a look at an interesting new capability in SharePoint 2013 Preview for license enforcement.
SharePoint Taxonomy Site Collection Internals (ITPro)
People sometimes run into Managed Metadata Taxonomy fields that show hash signs, semi-colons, numbers; what gives? What you are seeing, for example in a datasheet view, is a reflection of the internal representation of Taxonomy fields in SharePoint, which admittedly is a bit quirky to show users. It’s our call as solution designers whether to recommend or even expose Datasheet view for end-users.
Sharing - Simplified (Microsoft SharePoint Team Blog)
One of the reasons I love working for Microsoft is the pervasive culture of giving. Everyone I know here is involved in some non-profit volunteering activities. I too do work for a non-profit, managing a group of volunteers in India who provide education and primary health care to underprivileged kids. We regularly exchange a lot of information: photos, videos, budget documents, receipts and legal stuff. We collaborate on presentations, edit videos and create hand-outs. Currently, all this is done by email, and as you can imagine, it’s a mess. Our stuff is scattered. It’s common to lose updates from people and versions get out of control quickly.
Around Bamboo Nation
Announcing the Release of Discussion Board Plus for SharePoint R1.5 (The Bamboo Team Blog)
If you're close to my age (or older), you can probably recall taking a class in college that was so hard you had to tape the daily lecture so you could listen to it over and over in order to accurately capture the information in your notes. Professors can probably recall how students would frequently place their cassette recorders on the front desk or podium to record the lectures. (Remember, there were no magical iPhones at the time to record lectures on video.) I vividly recall having to do just that in my college Physiology class.
How to Automatically Receive Updates from Topics and Threads with Discussion Board Plus 1.5 (The Bamboo Team Blog)
Most of us have participated in different online communities, and know from experience that there are times when we really need to get reliable answers fast. Consequently, we'd like to be able to get those answers, and potential updates to those answers, without having to log back into the site, right? In the upcoming release of Discussion Board Plus, R1.5, Bamboo will provide exactly that functionality.
SharePoint Job Listings*
SharePoint Architect / Mgr. - Atlanta, GA
As a SharePoint Architect, you will be a champion for solutions on the Microsoft platform with a strong understanding of application design and development. Your focus will be architecting, developing and testing mission critical enterprise solutions and implementation of custom application development and selection using the .NET Framework, ASP.NET, VB.NET, C#, Business Intelligence, SharePoint, Performance Point, Office Suites, Azure and other advanced components of Microsoft technology.
SharePoint Infrastructure Engineer - Houston, TX
You will provide professional consulting services on major enterprise initiatives utilizing the Microsoft Framework including web services, enterprise portals and mobile applications. You will build management, technical and planning skills by participating in large projects. You will improve your abilities to think creatively, design solutions, and interact with customers. You will contribute to our vast repository of intellectual property as we employ Microsoft technologies to create a dramatically more personal, integrated computing experience.
New SharePoint Technical Content (SharePoint IT Pro Blog)
These are indeed exciting times for the Microsoft Office Division as a whole, and definitely for those of us who work on the technical content. First off, we hope you like the refreshed look and feel of this blog. Look for more design evolutions as time goes on, and of course, lots of SharePoint IT pro content! Check out the TechNet home page and feature package that launched today. They cover top-level IT professional content for new Office, Office 365, SharePoint, Exchange, Lync, and Project and even include an Editor’s note by yours truly.
- August 1, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013
- August 2, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- August 7, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- August 7, Online - Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- August 7, Online - Building Choices: Using Managed Metadata to Create Managed Choice Columns
- August 8, Online - Secure Social Collaboration in the Public Sector
- August 9, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- August 9, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- August 9, Online - Critical Path Training No Cost Webinar Series: "What’s new with Workflow in SharePoint 2013" with Andrew Connell
- August 14, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- August 14, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- August 15, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Establish Governance Today
- August 16, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- August 21, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- August 22-24, Washington, DC - SharePoint Saturday: The Conference
- August 23, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- August 28, Online - SharePoint Training Best Practices
- September 8, Cape Town, South Africa - Sharing the Point
- September 8, Cape Town, South Africa - SharePoint Saturday
- September 8, Branson, Missouri - SharePoint Saturday
- September 10, Johannesburg, South Africa - Sharing the Point
- September 12, Kigali, Rwanda - Sharing the Point
- September 12, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Choose Code-Free Customization
- September 13, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania - Sharing the Point
- September 15, Nairobi, Kenya - Sharing the Point
- September 15, Nairobi, Kenya - SharePoint Saturday
- September 22, Manchester, New Hampshire - SharePoint Saturday
- September 22, Redmond, Washington - SharePoint Saturday
- September 25-27, Chicago, Illinois - SharePoint Fest
- September 29, Troy, Michigan - SharePoint Saturday
- October 3, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Perform Inventory and Analysis
- October 6, Bend, Oregon - SharePoint Saturday
- October 13, Sacramento, California - SharePoint Saturday
- October 27, Cincinnati, Ohio - SharePoint Saturday
- November 3, Bloomington, Minnesota - SharePoint Saturday
- November 7, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Implement Data Externalization
- December 5, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Consolidate Content
- December 8, Nottingham, UK - SharePoint Saturday
- July 30-August 2, Atlanta, Georgia - The Great SharePoint Adventure 2010 - Critical Path Training
- July 30-Aug 3, Online - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- July 30-Aug 3, Online - SharePoint 2010 Foundation Developer - Mindsharp
- July 30-Aug 3, Atlanta, Georgia - The Great SharePoint Adventure 2010 - Critical Path Training
- August 1-3, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint Information Architecture - How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint- Earley & Associates
- August 6-10, Dulles, Virginia - Power User 2010 Train the Trainer - SusQtech
- August 7, Online - Workflow Conductor Designer Training - Bamboo Solutions
- August 7-10, Washington, DC – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- August 13-16, Dulles, Virginia - SharePoint 2010 Styling & Branding - SusQtech
- August 14-17, Dallas, Texas – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- August 21-23, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint 2010 for Server Administrators – SharePoint Solutions
- August 22, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- August 24, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- August 28, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- August 28-30, Toronto, ON - SharePoint Information Architecture - How to Optimize Findability in SharePoint - Earley & Associates
- August 28-31, Chicago, Illinois – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- September 4, Online - Workflow Conductor Designer Training - Bamboo Solutions
- September 11-12, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- September 11-14, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- September 14, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- September 18-21, Dallas, Texas – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- September 19, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Part 1 - Bamboo Solutions
- September 25, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- October 2, Online - Workflow Conductor Designer Training - Bamboo Solutions
- October 9-12, Nashville, Tennessee – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- October 12, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- October 17, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Part 1 - Bamboo Solutions
- October 23, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
* Please contact Chris Dooley (email@example.com) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.
Jul 31 2012, 07:45 AM
Filed under: SharePoint Taxonomy, SharePoint Events, SharePoint Training, SharePoint Jobs, IE10, SharePoint 2013, IE10 Benchmarks, Microsoft Business Plan, Cloud-based Productivity Applications, SharePoint Content Organization, Enabling Office Web Apps, Windows Phone Sales, SharePoint 2013 Marketplace
Please sign into Bamboo Nation to leave a comment.
About Chris Dooley
As Marketing Manager for Bamboo Solutions, Chris Dooley is responsible for overseeing all marketing efforts made towards identifying, creating, and evaluating strategies to promote the services and products offered by the company. He brings more than eight years of marketing experience to his position, with a strong focus on social media marketing stemming from his time of employment with America Online prior to Bamboo Solutions. During his time with AOL as a Senior Program Manager, Chris was responsible for creating the advertising processes for AOL Messaging and Social Media and co- founded AOL’s ComicsAlliance. In his role as Marketing Manager for Bamboo Solutions, he continues to carry out his extensive knowledge of social media marketing by establishing the need for the company’s products and services worldwide through emphasizing and initiating global marketing efforts. Chris studied Programming at Georgia Perimeter College.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Google+