Things Not to Do with SharePoint; Windows Server 2012 is Cloud OS; Fighting an Unwinnable War
Short weeks are nice, but why do I still have 5 days of work to get done in 4 days? - Dooley
Top News Stories
3 Things Not to Do with SharePoint (BetaNews)
I’m a big fan of SharePoint. I’ve worked with it for years, right back to SharePoint 2001. It does a lot of things very very well (Since you ask -- document management, collaborative working, and increasingly social networking functionality). However, SharePoint also does lots of things, its feature set is simply huge. Not all of these features are as mature as others, and as a result it is easy for SharePoint systems to end up feeling a bit mixed and matched. Some things work well, some less so, and some should have been avoided altogether.
SharePoint Projects: Ant Clay on the Importance of Vision
Everyone wants to believe that there is a single bullet solution to solve all SharePoint problems. While the answers are never that simple, the starting point is: asking the question "why?" Ant Clay, Founder and CEO of Soulsailor Consulting Ltd, is one of a new breed of SharePoint business technology consultants. Known to ask clients repeatedly “Why?” until they breakdown and admit “they just don’t know,” we thought we'd turn the tables on him to ask a few questions about SharePoint, governance and the upcoming release of SharePoint 2013.
A Very Valuable Review as We Head Towards SharePoint 2013 (AIIM)
Thank-you once again AIIM for your effort and accuracy in helping the broader world of information managers see the Big Picture around SharePoint. Of course this thanks is directed towards David Jones and team for the AIIM survey: The SharePoint Puzzle, just recently published.
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 is "Cloud OS" -- Who Knew? (ComputerWorld)
Microsoft Windows Server 2012 is now available. Redmond is touting it as the first cloud operating system, offering better virtualization and remote manageability than do Linux and UNIX.
When? How Much? Microsoft Not Learning Lessons From Its Competitors (CBR)
Microsoft has once again unveiled a top shelf product, the Nokia Lumia 920, with no firm date or price. Why is Microsoft making it so hard to sell? Commerce 101 - sales is about conversion. Present a purchase option to a consumer, close the deal and process the payment. Excluding the most rabid fanbase, the tablet and smartphone markets work in exactly the same way.
IFA 2012: Hands on with Office 2013 on a Windows RT Slate (IT Pro Portal)
Samsung kicked off IFA by unveiling its new Ativ line-up of portable devices. That included the Ativ Smart PC laptop/tablet hybrid and the Windows RT-based Ativ Tab tablet. The Ativ Tab comes with Microsoft Office 2013 pre-loaded (see our hands-on with the suite here), while Smart PC buyers get a 60 day trial. But how well does Office translate to the tablet? We stopped by Samsung's booth to check it out.
The Forrester Wave: Cloud Strategies of Online Collaboration Software Vendors, Q3 2012 - White Paper Download (CIO)
The changing dynamics of business -- the consumerization of IT, the rise of enterprise content and collaboration (ECC) services, and increased scrutiny on the safety and security of critical enterprise data -- are driving CIOs and IT departments to re-evaluate their approach to selecting and deploying platforms in the enterprise. This Forrester Wave evaluates eight enterprise collaboration services providers (including Box, IBM, Microsoft and salesforce.com) and reviews key success factors: enterprise readiness, security, integration, and commitment to the cloud. The report also provides insights into how business technology leaders are shifting their approach to SaaS solutions and the cloud.
Microsoft Fighting an Unwinnable War (RedmondMag)
Microsoft has been using the 10th anniversary of its Trustworthy Computing initiative to toot its own security horn the past few months. And it's deserved all the praise it's been giving itself. Patch Tuesday is great. And the dedication to actively seeking out and destroying security flaws every month is the golden standard that all software firms should emulate. It even goes the next step, offering free antivirus software and security tools in the form of Microsoft Security Essentials.
Around the Blogosphere
Lumia 920 or iPhone5, Which is it Gonna Be? (Winsmarts)
Deciding on a new phone is so difficult. I currently use an iPhone4, and I am itching to upgrade to either iPhone5 or Lumia 920. The decision is difficult because a lot of my work depends on my communication device, and whatever I pick, I will be stuck with for 2 years. Here is how I see the two stacking up. iPhone 5 of course based on rumors so far. I didn’t even consider Android here because I don’t like Android as an OS. It’s too insecure, privacy intrusive, and frankly unreliable. I cannot bet my work on Android, sorry not gonna happen.
SharePoint 2013 Permission Level Best Practices (ARB Security Solutions)
In order to view, change, or manage a site, the permission level a user has needs to allow them to authenticate it. The permission level will control all of the permissions to a site and to the child objects that will inherit that site and its permissions. When a user doesn’t have the right level of permissions, then they aren’t able to perform their tasks. If they have too much permission, they could be performing tasks you don’t want them to.
SharePoint 2013 Wish List – For Now (T3chnicalLead)
As I get more and more engrossed in the new version of SharePoint I thought it would be a good time, to take stock and pop out a little wish list. I will revisit it once I have done my research, played with it more and read ‘most’ of the “What’s New” and “Top 10″ articles available. Side note: Big Ups to Microsoft for coordinating the release on the 17th, the surrounding resources and community information.
Around Bamboo Nation
New to Bamboo Labs: Bamboo SP Analyzer (The Bamboo Team Blog)
Bamboo is pleased to introduce a completely reworked SharePoint analyzer solution called Bamboo SP Analyzer. Bamboo SP Analyzer is a unique tool that allows SharePoint administrators to unlock the secrets of their SharePoint farms. In this initial release, SharePoint administrators are provided the capability to: discover all Web Parts residing on individual pages (whether, visible, hidden, or closed); truly see the acceptance of a particular solution; and help troubleshoot issues that particular SharePoint sites may be experiencing.
SharePoint Job Listings*
SharePoint Project Mgr. - Houston, TX; Pasadena, TX
We are currently looking for a smart and talented SharePoint Project Manager with large scale implementation and customization experience to join our team. If you are and experience PM and advanced knowledge in SharePoint and .Net Web Services, we would love to talk to you more about this amazing opportunity.
Software Application Developer - .NET, SharePoint & SQL - Bloomington, MN; Minneapolis, MN
This is a corporate role, providing support for not only your internal clients, but recognizing the need for continued support for your external clients and their technology challenges - from the first day they set up new computers to launching their systems in a cloud.
SharePoint 2013 Preview SDK (Microsoft)
The SharePoint 2013 Preview software development kit (SDK) includes documentation and code samples for SharePoint Foundation 2013 Preview; for SharePoint Server 2013 Preview, which builds upon the SharePoint Foundation 2013 Preview infrastructure; and for SharePoint Online. The documentation includes detailed descriptions of the technologies that SharePoint provides for developers, reference documentation for the server and client object models, and step-by-step procedures for using these technologies and object models and programming with them. This SDK also includes best practices and setup guidance to help you get started with your own custom applications that build on and extend SharePoint.
- September 6, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- September 6, Online - Metadata vs. Folders: The Age-Old Debate
- September 7, Johannesburg, South Africa - Sharing the Point
- September 7, Alexandria, Virginia - SharePoint 2013 Preview Tour
- September 8, Cape Town, South Africa - Sharing the Point
- September 8, Cape Town, South Africa - SharePoint Saturday
- September 8, Branson, Missouri - SharePoint Saturday
- September 11, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- September 11, Online - Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- September 12, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Choose Code-Free Customization
- September 13, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- September 13, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- September 15, Nairobi, Kenya - Sharing the Point
- September 15, Nairobi, Kenya - SharePoint Saturday
- September 17, Dar es Salaam, Tanzania - Sharing the Point
- September 18, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- September 18, Online - American Family Insurance Uses Social to Drive Communications
- September 19, Online - Understanding SharePoint 2013 and the Social Landscape
- September 19th, Online - Developer Crash Course Webinar
- September 20, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- September 20, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- September 21, Washington, D.C. - SharePoint 2013 Preview Tour
- September 22, Manchester, New Hampshire - SharePoint Saturday
- September 22, Redmond, Washington - SharePoint Saturday
- September 25, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- September 25-27, Chicago, Illinois - SharePoint Fest
- September 29, Troy, Michigan - SharePoint Saturday
- October 3, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Perform Inventory and Analysis
- October 3, Chicago, Illinois - SharePoint 2013 Preview Tour
- October 6, Bend, Oregon - SharePoint Saturday
- October 6, San Antonio, Texas - SharePoint Saturday
- October 12, New York, New York - SharePoint 2013 Preview Tour
- October 13, Sacramento, California - SharePoint Saturday
- October 13, Tampa, Florida - SharePoint Saturday
- October 18, Chicago, Illinois - SharePoint 2013 Preview Tour
- October 22-23, Stockholm, Sweden - SharePoint & Exchange Forum 2012
- October 27, Cincinnati, Ohio - SharePoint Saturday
- November 3, Bloomington, Minnesota - SharePoint Saturday
- November 7, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Implement Data Externalization
- November 12-15, Las Vegas, Nevada - Microsoft SharePoint Conference
- December 1, South Florida - SharePoint Saturday
- December 5, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Consolidate Content
- December 8, Nottingham, UK - SharePoint Saturday
- September 11-12, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- September 11-14, Nashville, Tennessee – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- September 12-13, Online - Nintex Workflow 2010 Online Training - SusQtech
- September 14, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- September 17-21, Dulles, Virginia - SharePoint 2010 Super User Week Training - SusQtech
- September 18-21, Dallas, Texas – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- September 19, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Part 1 - Bamboo Solutions
- September 25, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- October 2, Online - Workflow Conductor Designer Training - Bamboo Solutions
- October 9-12, Nashville, Tennessee – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- October 12, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- October 17, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Part 1 - Bamboo Solutions
- October 23, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
* Please contact Chris Dooley (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.
Sep 06 2012, 07:47 AM
Filed under: SharePoint Events, SharePoint Training, SharePoint Jobs, Windows Phone 8 Release Date, SharePoint 2013 Permissions, SharePoint 2013 Review, Online Collaboration Cloud Strategies, Windows Phone Price, iPhone5, Windows Server 2012 Cloud OS, Lumia 920, SharePoint 2013 Wish List, SharePoint Project Vision
Please sign into Bamboo Nation to leave a comment.
About Chris Dooley
As Marketing Lead for Bamboo Solutions, Chris Dooley is responsible for overseeing all marketing efforts made towards identifying, creating, and evaluating strategies to promote the services and products offered by the company. He brings more than eight years of marketing experience to his position, with a strong focus on social media marketing stemming from his time of employment with America Online prior to Bamboo Solutions. During his time with AOL as a Senior Program Manager, Chris was responsible for creating the advertising processes for AOL Messaging and Social Media and co- founded AOL’s ComicsAlliance. In his role as Marketing Lead for Bamboo Solutions, he continues to carry out his extensive knowledge of social media marketing by establishing the need for the company’s products and services worldwide through emphasizing and initiating global marketing efforts. Chris studied Programming at Georgia Perimeter College.
Facebook | Twitter | LinkedIn | Google+