Sorry for the very long, very unplanned break. My schedule has been insanely crazy, but I think I finally have it under control again. - Dooley
Top News Stories
SharePoint 2013: Intranets with a Side of Social (CMSWire)
For many years organizations have used SharePoint to create Intranet environments, a single location that can be used as a starting point to obtain all the information needed for employees to complete their work. Because SharePoint offered a rich set of tools that allowed for non-technical users to update the content, it became a platform of choice for many organizations. SharePoint 2013 offers additional functionality that will greatly enhance SharePoint’s capability for providing these types of solutions internally.
Google Injects SharePoint Features into Search Appliance
Google has updated the software for its Google Search Appliance enterprise hardware, adding SharePoint support and giving the gift of more languages. The launch of Google Search Appliance 7.0 on Tuesday marks 10 years of consistent support for the device, which before the arrival of the Nexus mobile line was Google's hardware pitch. The appliance sits on a business's internal infrastructure and lets them crawl, analyse and index their corporate data using Google's own technology.
4 Common Processes that SharePoint can Streamline (B2C)
So your organization has a SharePoint intranet. Your Communications team has done their best by creating and executing a communication plan including a teaser video, a naming contest (Check out this collection for inspiration), emails, intranet news articles and posters. They have given you a training and perhaps a nice gadget like a pen, a mug or a USB stick. The intranet is here and it will be used for news, blogs, video, employee services, policies and procedures. Oh yes, and you can have Team Sites for collaboration. Good luck with it, folks!
Microsoft Adds iOS Support to Its Azure for Mobile Services Preview (ZDNet)
In August, Microsoft rolled out a preview test build of its Azure for Mobile Services, its successor to its Azure mobile toolkits. On October 16, Microsoft refreshed the Azure for Mobile preview with a number of new features, plus support for iPhone and iPad. Azure Mobile Services aims to make it easier for developers to store structured data in the cloud, integrate it with user authentication, and send out updates to clients via push notifications. The Azure Mobile Services preview started with support for Windows 8, with promises of future support for Windows Phone, iOS, and Android devices "soon."
Google Apps vs. Office 365: Which Does Cloud Email Better? [Review] (BetaNews)
Office 365 happens to be a product I think has a lot of potential. To be fair, it's Microsoft's second try at dedicated cloud-based email. Redmond first went toe to toe with Google Apps back in the days of BPOS (Business Productivity Online Suite), but they're distant cousins at best. With a few years' separation, Office 365 is Microsoft's answer to the growing threat Google Apps poses to Exchange.
Microsoft: Relax, You can Use Office 2013 RT for Work Too (Paul Thurrott's SuperSite for Windows)
I’m always amused by the silly little controversies that Microsoft seems to find itself in. Yesterday, when Surface with Windows RT device sales started, eager buyers noticed an alarming little footnote about the bundled version of Office: It can only be used for non-commercial use, which apparently means the device is useless for business. Not so, says Microsoft. The firm reached out to me last night (which isn’t as creepy as it sounds) to explain what’s happening. And let’s just say that this controversy—go figure—isn’t one.
Microsoft Faces Dip in Revenue Prior to Windows 8 Launch (ComputerWorld)
Facing a sluggish PC market and deferring revenue from sales of its upcoming Windows 8 OS, Microsoft reported US$4.47 billion in net income for its first fiscal quarter of 2013, a 22 percent decline from the same period a year earlier. The company reported revenue of $16.01 billion for the quarter that ended Sept. 30, an 8 percent decline from last year. This figure fell short of what many analysts had expected the company to generate for the period. A poll from Thomson Reuters found that analysts, on the average, expected the company to earn around $16.42 billion in revenue for the quarter.
Internet Explorer 10 Preview for Windows 7 Coming in November (Redmond Developer News)
Internet Explorer 10, the upcoming Microsoft Web browser that is closely aligned with the Windows 8 operating system, will support Windows 7, the company announced today. Many people may have thought that IE 10 for Windows 7 was already available, but a Microsoft guide for developers, dated from September, makes it clear that the company never got past an early platform preview build of IE 10 for Windows 7.
Around the Blogosphere
SharePoint 2013 (Technical Preview) MySite Upgrade and Profile Photos (From The Field)
I recently assisted a customer perform a test upgrade of their SharePoint 2010 environment to SharePoint 2013 Technical Preview; one of the issues that we experienced related to the user profile photo that is displayed in MySites. To provide some background, for the test migration different URLs were used for each of the Web Applications that was upgraded (for obvious reasons!). For example the existing SharePoint 2010 MySite Web Application used the URL http://mysite, for the test migration to SharePoint 2013 Technical Preview http://mysite2013 was used.
Video: 7 Ways to Empower Reluctant PMs with SharePoint 2013 (MeetDux)
Arguably the vast majority of people who manage projects today are not full time project managers but do so as a part of their work responsibilities. What if a reluctant project manager could get their project related work done more effectively by using tools they are already familiar with combined with a first rate project collaboration platform?
Reduce Administrator Workload Using Extranet Collaboration Manager for SharePoint 2010's (ExCM) "Site Sponsors" Feature (SharePoint Solutions Team Blog)
Extranet Collaboration Manager (ExCM) 2010 has the ability to greatly reduce the workload on your IT Department by implementing what we call “Site Sponsors.” Site Sponsors can be either Windows or Forms Based Authentication (FBA) users, and are basically users with some elevated privileges who are capable of managing the Extranet Users for a given site. Let’s take a closer look at Sponsorship and how it’s configured.
SharePoint ScoreBoard: A Case Study in jQuery - Part 1 (EndUserSharePoint)
This is a custom solution built using jQuery and SharePoint 2010. Hopefully you take inspiration and ideas from it to meet a need in your organization or client work. Requirements: The school was holding a week-long competition among all of the classes called iCare. Every morning students would need to login and track data from the previous day. The data consisted of a series of 19 daily mental, physical, and environmental challenges to promote health and well-being throughout the school. The student should be able to track how many of the challenges they were able to accomplish in the previous day. For each student, the accomplished daily challenges should be added up as points (1 point for each of the 19 challenges) and assigned to a homeroom teacher of their choosing. At the end of the week, the homeroom teacher with the highest score won the competition and the homeroom received a prize.
Around Bamboo Nation
How to Create Lists and Libraries Using SharePoint Designer 2013 (SharePoint 2013)
SharePoint Designer 2013 is the tool of choice for the development of SharePoint Applications. Using SharePoint Designer, you can rapidly create SharePoint solutions in response to business needs. Moreover, with SharePoint Designer 2013, you will see many changes that encompass a variety of new features, as well as a new user interface. In this article, I will show you how to create lists and libraries directly from SharePoint Designer 2013. Challenge: When you create a site in SharePoint 2013, you can create many lists, columns, and actions and then save them as a site template for importing to another farm. SharePoint Designer 2013 allows you to do this as well, and can do so without the use of any complex command lines. Below are the steps for creating lists and libraries in SharePoint Designer 2013.
How to Create Custom Views Using SharePoint Designer 2013 (SharePoint 2013)
SharePoint Designer 2013 is the tool of choice for the development of SharePoint Applications. Using SharePoint Designer, you can rapidly create SharePoint solutions in response to business needs. Moreover, with SharePoint Designer 2013, you will see many changes that encompass a variety of new features, as well as a new user interface. In this article, I will show you how to create custom views from SharePoint Designer 2013. Challenge: With lists created in SharePoint 2013, you can only use default views without any customization. Modifying the view through SharePoint Designer 2013, you can make a variety of changes, including but not limited to: text color; add a column; and embed an item limit. In this blog post, I will demonstrate how to create/modify views through SharePoint Designer 2013. The advantages of this is that you need only perform some simple configurations and you don't need any complex command lines.
This Week in Bamboo (September 9th, 2012 - September 15th, 2012) (The Bamboo Team Blog)
This week in Bamboo, the following patches were released to the storefront: Cross-Site Display Web Part and Workflow Conductor. We added some new features on latest release of Cross-Site Display Web Part for SharePoint 2007. Please check out the new features and review the list below for more details about the patches of this week.
SharePoint Job Listings*
SharePoint Developer - Baltimore, Maryland
The qualified candidate will join Lockheed Martin's Information Systems & Services Team (ISST) to perform information systems analysis, design, development, and administration in support of information architecture, document management, business productivity, and management reporting/dashboard solutions in a SharePoint 2007/2010, .NET, and SQL Server environment.
Analyst w/SharePoint - Morristown, New Jersey
We are currently recruiting for a Financial Analyst for a 3-month assignment with a large national client. Looking for someone extremely proficient in MS Office, especially Excel and expertise in Visio and SharePoint experience as well. Responsibility will include billing and accruals, headcount tracking, heavy manager contact regarding variances, etc.
Understanding SharePoint Groups (Microsoft)
You should use SharePoint groups to assign the same permission level to many people at once. By using SharePoint groups, rather than tracking the access you grant to sites or content, one person at a time, you simplify the task of managing access. Assigning permission levels to SharePoint groups instead of individuals when you manage permissions:
- October 22-23, Stockholm, Sweden - SharePoint & Exchange Forum 2012
- October 23, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- October 25, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- October 25, Online - What's new in SharePoint 2013; Preview, Readiness and Strategies for Adoption
- October 27, Cincinnati, Ohio - SharePoint Saturday
- October 30, Online - Understanding How Users Adopt New Technologies
- November 1, Online – Social Strategy Behind the Padded Walls of Mad Science; Webinar with Oakley, Inc.
- November 3, Bloomington, Minnesota - SharePoint Saturday
- November 6, Chevy Chase, Maryland - Delivering SharePoint Success
- November 7, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Implement Data Externalization
- November 12-15, Las Vegas, Nevada - Microsoft SharePoint Conference
- November 26-27, Kranjska Gora, Slovenia - SharePoint days 2012
- November 27, London, England - SharePoint 2013 Seminar
- November 29, Online - Understanding the Core Concepts of Governance, Risk Management and Compliance (GRC)
- December 1, South Florida - SharePoint Saturday
- December 1. Ottawa, Canada - SharePoint Saturday
- December 5, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Consolidate Content
- December 5, Atlanta, Georgia - Delivering SharePoint Success
- December 7, Honolulu, Hawaii - SharePoint Saturday
- December 8, Nottingham, UK - SharePoint Saturday
- December 10-14, Orlando, Florida - SharePoint Live!
- December 15, Dubai, United Arab Emirates - SharePoint Saturday
- December 19, Franklin, Tennessee - Delivering SharePoint Success
- December 20, Online - "Managing Up" in the midst of tension or dysfunction
- October 22-26, Dulles, Virginia - SharePoint 2010 Business Intelligence & Reporting - SusQtech
- October 23, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- October 30 - November 2, Dulles, Virginia - SharePoint Styling & Branding Week - SusQtech
- November 5-8, Concord, California - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- November 5-8, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- November 6, Sterling, Virginia - SharePoint Power End User Training - i3solutions
- November 7, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- November 13, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- November 14-16, Sterling, Virginia - SharePoint Core Administration Training - i3solutions
- November 16, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- November 26-30, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- November 26-30, Atlanta, Georgia - SharePoint 2010 Core Developer - Mindsharp
- November 27, Sterling, Virginia - SharePoint End User Training - i3solutions
- December 3-6, Atlanta, Georgia - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- December 3-7, Sterling, Virginia - SharePoint Developer Training - i3solutions
- December 3-7, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Core Developer - Mindsharp
- December 11-14, Washington, D.C. - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- December 12, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- December 14, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- December 17-21, Online - SharePoint 2010 Core Developer - Mindsharp
- December 17-21, Washington, D.C. - SharePoint 2010 Advanced Administration - Mindsharp
* Please contact Chris Dooley (email@example.com) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.
Oct 22 2012, 07:45 AM
Filed under: Google Search Appliance, Google Apps, SharePoint Events, SharePoint Training, SharePoint Jobs, Microsoft Revenue, Office 365, Social Intranets, IE10 for Windows 7, SharePoint 2013 Project Management, Sharepoint 2013 Intranets, SharePoint ScoreBoard, Streamlining Processes, Office 2013 RT, Extranet Collaboration Manager for SharePoint 2010, Azure Mobile Services for iOS, SharePoint 2013 Technical Preview
As Marketing Lead for Bamboo Solutions, Chris Dooley is responsible for overseeing all marketing efforts made towards identifying, creating, and evaluating strategies to promote the services and products offered by the company. He brings more than eight years of marketing experience to his position, with a strong focus on social media marketing stemming from his time of employment with America Online prior to Bamboo Solutions. During his time with AOL as a Senior Program Manager, Chris was responsible for creating the advertising processes for AOL Messaging and Social Media and co- founded AOL’s ComicsAlliance. In his role as Marketing Lead for Bamboo Solutions, he continues to carry out his extensive knowledge of social media marketing by establishing the need for the company’s products and services worldwide through emphasizing and initiating global marketing efforts. Chris studied Programming at Georgia Perimeter College.