Woohoo!!! Two days in a row. - Dooley
Top News Stories
What SharePoint Means for Business? Pundits Weigh In (CMSWire)
What better way to start the day than by asking some of the best known SharePoint experts about SharePoint? This morning SharePoint Symposium started with a Pundit Debate in which Tony Byrne, Mary-Foley and Martin White shared their thoughts on SharePoint today and its impact on the technology sector. Here's what we learned.
Is SharePoint 2013 Enough to Challenge Other Enterprise Social Networks?
In July Ballmer announced SharePoint 2013 to an eager audience and gave access to the preview. New Social features, improved MySite interface, Skydrive for document storage, improved collaboration, Azure workflow, newsfeeds, improved records management and compliance….it’s a bucket list that seems to tick all the right boxes for an enterprise social platform. But the bucket has holes, Dear Liza….
10 Awesome New Additions in Office 2013 (PCWorld)
This is a heady time for Microsoft as it rolls out an ambitious OS and polishes off its productivity suite, billed as "the new Office." At the suite's core is Office 2013—the desktop applications. Changes include a sleek appearance that reflects the look of Windows 8, functional improvements, and tie-ins to SharePoint and SkyDrive for storing documents online. In addition, the various components of Office Web Apps improve productivity in the cloud, while Windows 8 Surface RT tablets get their own flavor of Office.
How This 2-man Startup Plans to Take on SharePoint and Asana (Venture Beat)
Siasto, the tiny startup that competes with Huddle, Podio, Asana, and Microsoft SharePoint, is making a name for itself as the disruptive newcomer on the scene. On Siasto, sign up for free, and you can immediately get to work adding tasks, uploading your documents, and inviting your colleagues or friends to join your “team.” An administrator can invite people to work on a project team, or can delete a project altogether.
Microsoft Office 365 Sizes Don't Fit All (SearchExchange)
Microsoft Office 365 has grabbed the attention of many IT shops over the past year, thanks to the company's marketing machine. However, once these shops examine the nuts and bolts of implementing the product, many realize that while Exchange in the cloud seems like a good idea, Microsoft may not be the best company to support them. There are various flavors of Office 365, but none allow for customization or integration with tools and applications that are tightly coupled with their existing on-premises Exchange deployment. Furthermore, many companies are not thrilled with the prospect of incorporating Microsoft's most recent products whenever they become available, as it causes compatibility and training problems.
IE10 for Windows 7: Why the Delay? (SitePoint)
In a recent IEBlog post, Rob Mauceri the IE Group Program Manager announced that Internet Explorer 10 will be available for Windows 7 as a preview during mid-November 2012. Until now, I assumed IE10 would be released at the same time as Windows 8 — October 26. Microsoft will be busy promoting their new OS so a few days slippage is understandable. But why do Windows 7 users need to wait another three weeks? Even then, it won’t be the full version but a limited “preview”?
Big Surprise: Bill Gates Thinks Windows 8 is Great (CNET)
Bill Gates is giving some initial feedback about Windows 8, and it's no shocker that he thinks the operating system is pretty nifty. The Microsoft co-founder and chairman, speaking in a video interview with Microsoft's Steve Clayton, echoes CEO Steve Ballmer in calling Windows 8 an "absolutely critical product" that combines "the best" of tablets and traditional PCs.
Around the Blogosphere
Introducing People Search (Microsoft SharePoint Team Blog)
This blog post introduces you to some of the new features in People Search in SharePoint Server 2013. In future posts, we will discuss each feature in more detail, include up-to-date screen shots, and cover additional topics. Query Rules: Using Query Rules, for the first time People Search is out of its silo and integrated with core results. Users are able to find People results in line with document results, and use the latter as an entry point into the full People experience. For example, searching for "Garit Vaargas" finds the correct result "Garret Vargas" and provides additional information about Garret. Users are also able to use Search Navigation to move among the different search experiences, including People Search.
Video: How to Plan, Manage and Control SharePoint Projects (MeetDux)
Microsoft SharePoint has shifted the paradigm in enterprise information management and team collaboration. By empowering knowledge workers, SharePoint can increase worker productivity, improve business process efficiency and streamline business processes.
Content Processing Part 1: FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint, Custom Meta Tags and Date Formats (ITPro)
This is the first in a short series of blogs in which I will write about custom content processing with FAST Search Server 2010 for SharePoint (FS4SP) and SharePoint 2013 Preview. I think it will be interesting to lay out a couple of use cases for content processing, provide something of a how-to for the scenario(s) with FS4SP and then try to refactor the solutions for SharePoint 2013 Preview to see how the solutions will differ, what has become easier, more challenging, etc.
SharePoint User Adoption Planning & Tips - Part 1 (GetThePoint)
Hi. My name is Scott Smith and I wear many SharePoint hats at Del Monte Foods: administrator, support engineer, evangelist, trainer, and infrastructure specialist. A couple of years ago I was happy to get the green light to upgrade our SP environment from SharePoint 2007 to SharePoint 2010. During this time, my team partnered with the corporate communications department to rebrand and restructure our Corporate Portal. We also required HR, Finance, and Sales to weigh-in as they are heavily invested in SP as their primary communication and collaboration vehicle.
Color Scheme Tools and Creating a SharePoint Color Theme (NothingButBranding)
One of the first things I do when embarking on a new SharePoint branding project is to determine the color scheme. Sometimes, the colors are part of the design requirements, but often, I have some leeway in creating suggested color palettes to present to the client. Even if the client has provided a logo with one or two colors, I will still have to determine other colors that will be used in the design or site. For example, you may have one or more background colors to anchor the site, the primary text color, and one or more accent colors. I usually like to create my own color schemes, but if you aren't sure where to start, or if you don’t think you have an eye" for color, here are some tips to get you going.
Around Bamboo Nation
How to Create Custom Forms Using SharePoint Designer 2013 (SharePoint 2013)
SharePoint Designer 2013 is the tool of choice for the development of SharePoint Applications. Using SharePoint Designer, you can rapidly create SharePoint solutions in response to business needs. Moreover, with SharePoint Designer 2013, you will see many changes that encompass a variety of new features, as well as a new user interface. In this article, I will show you how to create custom forms with SharePoint Designer 2013. Challenge: SharePoint 2013 allows contributors to input list data through forms created in SharePoint Designer. The forms are customizable, providing limitless, unique field entries. Creating, editing, and displaying the forms is accomplished through simple configurations in lieu of complex command line entries. This ability to customize is a great advantage over the standard "New Item" or "Edit Item" default forms.
How to Design & Brand a Site Using SharePoint Designer 2013 (SharePoint 2013)
SharePoint Designer 2013 is the tool of choice for the development of SharePoint Applications.Using SharePoint Designer, you can rapidly create SharePoint solutions in response to business needs. Moreover, with SharePoint Designer 2013, you will see many changes that encompass a variety of new features, as well as a new user interface. In this article, I will show you how to create, design, and brand a site with SharePoint Designer 2013. Challenge: With sites created in SharePoint 2013, you can only use default master pages. Modifying the master page with SharePoint Designer 2013, you can make a variety of changes, including, but not limited to: text color; font-size; font style; and attach style sheet. Below, I will demonstrate how to create/modify master pages using SharePoint Designer 2013.
How to Create Data Sources Using SharePoint Designer 2013, Part I: Saving User Name & Password (SharePoint 2013)
With Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2013, you can connect to any kind of database, including Microsoft SQL Server (SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008), Oracle, and OLE DB protocol. Moreover, there are three options for connecting to databases: This article shows you how to create a connection to a database. It also shows you how to connect to a database by saving the user name and password.
SharePoint Job Listings*
SharePoint Developer - Cincinnati, Ohio
This position will be to provide SharePoint and .NET development services to customers who are adopting a Microsoft SharePoint technology platform or further extending their existing SharePoint technology platform by implementing custom business solutions. This position focuses on providing .NET development expertise for the implementation of SharePoint 2010/.NET 4.0 solutions. Other responsibilities include working as part of a development team, collaborating with architects on development techniques, coordinating with QA to resolve defects.
Sr. SharePoint Engineer - Brooklyn, New York
We are currently looking for a Sr. SharePoint Software Engineer to join our dynamic team in New York City. Our SharePoint Engineer will interface with our Fortune 1000 clients, gather requirements, and lead our efforts in SharePoint architecture, design and development of mission critical solutions to meet their business needs. Additionally, since we are a growing company, engineers with a passion for entrepreneurship and generating ideas are welcome.
Understanding SharePoint Groups (Microsoft)
You should use SharePoint groups to assign the same permission level to many people at once. By using SharePoint groups, rather than tracking the access you grant to sites or content, one person at a time, you simplify the task of managing access. Assigning permission levels to SharePoint groups instead of individuals when you manage permissions:
- October 22-23, Stockholm, Sweden - SharePoint & Exchange Forum 2012
- October 23, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- October 25, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- October 25, Online - What's new in SharePoint 2013; Preview, Readiness and Strategies for Adoption
- October 27, Cincinnati, Ohio - SharePoint Saturday
- October 30, Online - Understanding How Users Adopt New Technologies
- November 1, Online – Social Strategy Behind the Padded Walls of Mad Science; Webinar with Oakley, Inc.
- November 3, Bloomington, Minnesota - SharePoint Saturday
- November 6, Chevy Chase, Maryland - Delivering SharePoint Success
- November 7, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Implement Data Externalization
- November 12-15, Las Vegas, Nevada - Microsoft SharePoint Conference
- November 26-27, Kranjska Gora, Slovenia - SharePoint days 2012
- November 27, London, England - SharePoint 2013 Seminar
- November 29, Online - Understanding the Core Concepts of Governance, Risk Management and Compliance (GRC)
- December 1, South Florida - SharePoint Saturday
- December 1. Ottawa, Canada - SharePoint Saturday
- December 5, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Consolidate Content
- December 5, Atlanta, Georgia - Delivering SharePoint Success
- December 7, Honolulu, Hawaii - SharePoint Saturday
- December 8, Nottingham, UK - SharePoint Saturday
- December 10-14, Orlando, Florida - SharePoint Live!
- December 15, Dubai, United Arab Emirates - SharePoint Saturday
- December 19, Franklin, Tennessee - Delivering SharePoint Success
- December 20, Online - "Managing Up" in the midst of tension or dysfunction
- October 22-26, Dulles, Virginia - SharePoint 2010 Business Intelligence & Reporting - SusQtech
- October 23, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- October 30 - November 2, Dulles, Virginia - SharePoint Styling & Branding Week - SusQtech
- November 5-8, Concord, California - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- November 5-8, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- November 6, Sterling, Virginia - SharePoint Power End User Training - i3solutions
- November 7, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- November 13, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- November 14-16, Sterling, Virginia - SharePoint Core Administration Training - i3solutions
- November 16, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- November 26-30, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- November 26-30, Atlanta, Georgia - SharePoint 2010 Core Developer - Mindsharp
- November 27, Sterling, Virginia - SharePoint End User Training - i3solutions
- December 3-6, Atlanta, Georgia - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- December 3-7, Sterling, Virginia - SharePoint Developer Training - i3solutions
- December 3-7, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Core Developer - Mindsharp
- December 11-14, Washington, D.C. - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- December 12, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- December 14, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- December 17-21, Online - SharePoint 2010 Core Developer - Mindsharp
- December 17-21, Washington, D.C. - SharePoint 2010 Advanced Administration - Mindsharp
* Please contact Chris Dooley (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.
Oct 23 2012, 07:45 AM
Filed under: SharePoint Projects, SharePoint Events, SharePoint Training, SharePoint Jobs, Bill Gates, Windows 8, SharePoint User Adoption, Huddle, Fast Search Server 2010 for SharePoint, IE10 for Windows 7, Office 2013 Features, Sharepoint 2013 Enterprise Social Networks, Siasto, Asana, SharePoint Color Theme, Office 365 Versions, Podio, People Search, SharePoint for Business
As Marketing Lead for Bamboo Solutions, Chris Dooley is responsible for overseeing all marketing efforts made towards identifying, creating, and evaluating strategies to promote the services and products offered by the company. He brings more than eight years of marketing experience to his position, with a strong focus on social media marketing stemming from his time of employment with America Online prior to Bamboo Solutions. During his time with AOL as a Senior Program Manager, Chris was responsible for creating the advertising processes for AOL Messaging and Social Media and co- founded AOL’s ComicsAlliance. In his role as Marketing Lead for Bamboo Solutions, he continues to carry out his extensive knowledge of social media marketing by establishing the need for the company’s products and services worldwide through emphasizing and initiating global marketing efforts. Chris studied Programming at Georgia Perimeter College.