Does anyone want a cold? If so, you can have mine. I'm REALLY over it. - Dooley
Top News Stories
How to Measure SharePoint Projects and Governance Organization (CMSWire)
Measuring SharePoint business value is not always an easy task; it can be hard to measure the value of an intranet or how much a collaboration environment really improves the way we work. Nevertheless, there are ways to do it — some are pretty easy while other ways may require a bit more work to get it right.
The Cool Kids Grow Up: Box.com and the SharePoint Shift
Last year, when I attended Box.com’s BoxWorks conference for the first time, I was struck by the outrageous coolness emanating from founder and CEO Aaron Levie, as he stood on stage and ripped into Microsoft SharePoint as the embodiment of all that was evil and useless. It made for great theatre, and outrageous coolness not only set the tone for the conference but also apparently heralded a great year for Box. Not only did the company garner some major investors – SAP, and Salesforce.com, among many others – but it also began an amazing growth spurt that has catapulted Box out in front of a cloud apps market that is the most fast-moving sector of the tech industry this side of mobile.
Office 365, SharePoint and SQL Server: Our Experts Weigh In (Redmond Channel Partner)
IT pros wear many hats these days, so they must be well-versed in the provisioning and management of today's core line-of-business (LOB) systems. While there are many components of the Microsoft enterprise portfolio, the key pieces are Windows Server to provide fundamental infrastructure, SQL Server for structured data and SharePoint Server as the platform for collaboration and content management.
10 Best Office 2013 Features, According to Microsoft (NetworkWorld)
Whether you love Microsoft or think it's, well, less than lovable, there's no denying the power Microsoft Office has in business. From the smallest operations to the largest enterprise, Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook and the rest of the suite are ubiquitous. Naturally, IT pros have a deep and vested interest in the newest version of Office.
Top 10 Biggest Drawbacks of Windows RT (CNET)
While Microsoft is spending a small fortune promoting its next-generation Windows 8 operating system, it also has another new operating system called Windows RT, which actually powers the company's Surface tablet and a few other devices. Superficially, the operating systems look and feel the same. But Windows RT is designed for devices running on ARM chips, which are used to power smartphones and tablets and are considered more power-efficient.
CHART OF THE DAY: Where Microsoft's Profits Come From (Business Insider)
When Microsoft revealed its first ever computer, the Surface, CEO Steve Ballmer said, "Windows is the heart and soul of Microsoft from Windows PCs to Windows Servers to Windows Phones and Windows Azure." And while that's certainly accurate, the Windows division was not the company's heart and soul as far as profits go, last quarter. The company made twice as much money last quarter from the Business Division, which is home to Office. And Microsoft's Server and Tools group had bigger profits than the Windows division.
As Mobile Grows, So Does Cloud Computing (CIO)
Analyst firm IHS published an important study last week. It predicts that, for the first time ever, PC shipments would drop year-over-year; for 2012, total shipments will drop 1.2 percent. IDC and Gartner agree, noting that third quarter PC shipments fell 8 percent. It's the steepest drop since 2001. While it's clear that use of new form factors such as smartphones and tablets has been skyrocketing over the past few years, this study is the first that indicates that this growth, far from incremental, is taking share from the previously dominant form factor. Of course, some may not accept the study's findings, feeling that rumors of the death of the PC have been overstated. It may be the case, too, that the total number of PCs sold in 2012 won't really shrink but may, instead, end up showing modest growth.
Uh Oh, Microsoft's Surface Tablet Is Getting Some Awful Reviews (Business Insider)
The reviews are in for Microsoft's Surface tablet. And the verdict is not good. The most scathing of the reviews we've read so far comes from Josh Topolsky at The Verge. Here's a sampling of what he has to say: "It's also not very useful on your lap — unless you like to struggle."
Around the Blogosphere
5 Questions about SkyDrive Pro! (Microsoft SharePoint Team Blog)
Hi, I'm Tejas Mehta, a senior marketing manager on the SharePoint team. In July, we introduced the new SharePoint, which includes SkyDrive Pro. With the Preview in full swing, we wanted to provide some additional context on SkyDrive Pro. In this post, I'll answer some of the common questions being asked by our customers and partners. Please keep in mind that when I mention SharePoint, I am referencing the new SharePoint Server 2013 version, currently in Preview.
Video: Maximize Project 2010 w/ SharePoint 2010 for PM Success (MeetDux)
Microsoft Project is a project management tool widely used by project managers today. Its' ability to support project managers to define a schedule, assign resources to tasks and track project status has been instrumental in contributing to project success. However, it can be a challenge for a project manager to share project information and collaborate with the project team with Microsoft Project alone. Microsoft SharePoint 2010 can complement Microsoft Project 2010 and address this gap.
SharePoint 2013 Technical Preview Development Environment - Dependencies, Versions, Downloads (The SharePoint Guys)
I have worked with various incarnations of pre-release software installed on development machines. Getting the right combination of tools and versions isn't very straightforward. If you ever wondered which version of Windows Server 2012, Visual Studio 2012, Office Developer Tools and other Add-ons to install (and from where) read on.
Around Bamboo Nation
How to Create Data Sources Using SharePoint Designer 2013, Part II: Single Sign-on Authentication (SharePoint 2013)
With Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2013, you can connect to any kind of database, including Microsoft SQL Server (SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008), Oracle, and OLE DB protocol. Moreover, there are three options for connecting to databases: This article shows you how to create a connection to a database. It also shows you how to connect to a database using Single Sign-On Authentication.
How to Customize the Discussion Board Plus User Interface (The Bamboo Team Blog)
Discussion Board Plus is a useful tool for enhancing collaboration and sharing information in SharePoint without bombarding your team with email. We recognize, however, that the default HTML output of Discussion Board Plus may not meet the needs of all companies. It's for this reason that we provide the ability to modify the layout and information displayed to meet your business needs. By modifying the CSS file, you can make a variety of changes, including, but not limited to: text color; change location between text and symbol; and embed an image/icon. In this article, I will demonstrate how you can control styling and HTML output in Discussion Board Plus by modifying the CSS and XSL files.
How to Create Data Sources Using SharePoint Designer 2013, Part III: Custom Connection String (SharePoint 2013)
With Microsoft SharePoint Designer 2013, you can connect to any kind of database, including Microsoft SQL Server (SQL Server 2005 and SQL Server 2008), Oracle, and OLE DB protocol. Moreover, there are three options for connecting to databases: This article shows you how to create a connection to a database. It also shows you how to connect to a database by using a custom connection string.
SharePoint Job Listings*
SharePoint Systems Analyst - Houston, Texas
The SharePoint Administrator position provides analytical, technical, and administrative expertise in the life cycle of acquiring/developing, implementing, and maintaining SharePoint technology solutions. Support existing MOSS applications, work on projects to migrate or replace existing applications to MOSS IIS Administration. Microsoft SharePoint Services 2.0/3.0, 2007 Administration. Perform activities related to the operations and monitoring of the internal and external web applications Investigate and troubleshoot issues. Maintain and incorporate hardware/software standards and controls regarding administrative databases and support software. Document best practices for managing the SharePoint 2007/2010 farms.
SharePoint Administrator - Memphis, Tennessee
If you are looking to be part of a great company with EXCELLENT benefits package look no further! Company seeking a seasoned SharePoint administrator! In this position you will have the opportunity to work with team members for all SharePoint items as well as be the point of contact that shares responsibility for the full life cycle of the SharePoint system including planning, design, development, testing, integration, deployment and maintenance. As the SharePoint administrator you will also provide level three support for the SharePoint enterprise system. You will also have the opportunity to author and maintain documentation including specifications, processes, analysis, policies and plans which will focus on IS security, integrity focus and integration with existing systems. Experience with Epic, HP Uniz, Microsoft environments, integration into unified systems and advanced infrastructure is a plus!
Understanding SharePoint Groups (Microsoft)
You should use SharePoint groups to assign the same permission level to many people at once. By using SharePoint groups, rather than tracking the access you grant to sites or content, one person at a time, you simplify the task of managing access. Assigning permission levels to SharePoint groups instead of individuals when you manage permissions:
- October 25, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- October 25, Online - What's new in SharePoint 2013; Preview, Readiness and Strategies for Adoption
- October 27, Cincinnati, Ohio - SharePoint Saturday
- October 30, Online - Understanding How Users Adopt New Technologies
- November 1, Online – Social Strategy Behind the Padded Walls of Mad Science; Webinar with Oakley, Inc.
- November 3, Bloomington, Minnesota - SharePoint Saturday
- November 6, Chevy Chase, Maryland - Delivering SharePoint Success
- November 7, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Implement Data Externalization
- November 12-15, Las Vegas, Nevada - Microsoft SharePoint Conference
- November 26-27, Kranjska Gora, Slovenia - SharePoint days 2012
- November 27, London, England - SharePoint 2013 Seminar
- November 29, Online - Understanding the Core Concepts of Governance, Risk Management and Compliance (GRC)
- December 1, South Florida - SharePoint Saturday
- December 1. Ottawa, Canada - SharePoint Saturday
- December 5, Online - Five Ways to Prepare for SharePoint 2013 – Consolidate Content
- December 5, Atlanta, Georgia - Delivering SharePoint Success
- December 7, Honolulu, Hawaii - SharePoint Saturday
- December 8, Nottingham, UK - SharePoint Saturday
- December 10-14, Orlando, Florida - SharePoint Live!
- December 15, Dubai, United Arab Emirates - SharePoint Saturday
- December 19, Franklin, Tennessee - Delivering SharePoint Success
- December 20, Online - "Managing Up" in the midst of tension or dysfunction
- October 22-26, Dulles, Virginia - SharePoint 2010 Business Intelligence & Reporting - SusQtech
- October 30 - November 2, Dulles, Virginia - SharePoint Styling & Branding Week - SusQtech
- November 5-8, Concord, California - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- November 5-8, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- November 6, Sterling, Virginia - SharePoint Power End User Training - i3solutions
- November 7, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- November 13, Online - Project Management Central End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- November 14-16, Sterling, Virginia - SharePoint Core Administration Training - i3solutions
- November 16, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- November 26-30, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Administration Core Technologies - Mindsharp
- November 26-30, Atlanta, Georgia - SharePoint 2010 Core Developer - Mindsharp
- November 27, Sterling, Virginia - SharePoint End User Training - i3solutions
- December 3-6, Atlanta, Georgia - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- December 3-7, Sterling, Virginia - SharePoint Developer Training - i3solutions
- December 3-7, Minneapolis, Minnesota - SharePoint 2010 Core Developer - Mindsharp
- December 11-14, Washington, D.C. - SharePoint 2010 Power End User - Mindsharp
- December 12, Online - Project Management Central (3.0) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- December 14, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- December 17-21, Online - SharePoint 2010 Core Developer - Mindsharp
- December 17-21, Washington, D.C. - SharePoint 2010 Advanced Administration - Mindsharp
* Please contact Chris Dooley (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.
Oct 24 2012, 07:45 AM
Filed under: Cloud Computing, SQL Server, SharePoint Projects, SharePoint Events, SharePoint Governance, SharePoint Training, SharePoint Jobs, Project 2010, SharePoint, Office 365, SkyDrive Pro, Office 2013 Features, Windows RT, SharePoint 2013 Technical Preview Development Environment, Microsoft Surface Reviews, SharePoint 2010 for PM, Box.com
As Marketing Lead for Bamboo Solutions, Chris Dooley is responsible for overseeing all marketing efforts made towards identifying, creating, and evaluating strategies to promote the services and products offered by the company. He brings more than eight years of marketing experience to his position, with a strong focus on social media marketing stemming from his time of employment with America Online prior to Bamboo Solutions. During his time with AOL as a Senior Program Manager, Chris was responsible for creating the advertising processes for AOL Messaging and Social Media and co- founded AOL’s ComicsAlliance. In his role as Marketing Lead for Bamboo Solutions, he continues to carry out his extensive knowledge of social media marketing by establishing the need for the company’s products and services worldwide through emphasizing and initiating global marketing efforts. Chris studied Programming at Georgia Perimeter College.