While April may not be on your radar, is it ever too early to save money? Register now to save $300 off your pass to ShareFEST in Philadelphia. - Dooley
Top News Stories
SharePoint 2013: Social Features Highlights (CMSWire)
When you look at SharePoint 2013 Social Features, it is important to understand the Social features are really just a way to highlight how users are already working. Once you've flipped things around and are starting with the user and common actions, it becomes easy to see how the tools available to you can simply enhance current activities of users.
10 Key Things You Need to Know About SharePoint 2013 Community Sites
The new Community site template in SharePoint 2013 provides some really cool capabilities to promote and encourage collaboration for organizational communities. I considered two alternate titles for this blog post: "Member, member - who is a Member?" and "Will the real Member please stand up?" The reason is because one of the key nuances for SharePoint 2013 Community sites is that Members in Community Sites are not the same as Members in Team Sites - and you need to understand the difference if you want to avoid the "security cliff" in Community sites. I've been working with a client to pilot Community sites and it turns out, that there are some definite best practices and "order of operations" requirements for leveraging Community sites so in addition to the Member nuance, I've combined the lessons we've learned into this list of 10 tips and best practices.
SharePoint 2013 Search, Metadata-driven Navigation Simplify Structure (SearchContentManagement)
One of the enduring challenges for most Web content management tools is the conflict between the physical nature of storing content and the logical relationship between much of that content on a website. The SharePoint collaboration and content management platform is no exception.
Red Cross Offers Office 365 Globally to Improve Communications (CIO)
The International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies (IFRC) now offers its more than 180 National Societies the option to adopt Office 365, Microsoft's cloud-based suite of email, collaboration and productivity software. The IFRC's decision to make Office 365 available to its in-country organisations is part of its effort to help those of them which have fallen behind in technology - estimated at more than a third of all National Societies.
Microsoft Nearly Clarifies Office 2013 Licensing, Still Dithering Over Cloud Computing (CMSWire)
Way back when, in the days when Microsoft starting talking up Office 2013 critics of the Redmond giant made some pretty pointed comments about slow-coach Microsoft and the cloud. There may have been reasons to suggest that the company was behind the times with a desktop office suite, but the recent issues around licensing of Office 2013 shows exactly where it is putting its money.
Apparently Microsoft Doesn't Know How Microsoft Software Works (Forbes)
Following on from the entirely bizarre falling over of Azure, Microsoft‘s cloud computing platform, last Friday, we’re getting interesting little stories that make it all so much worse. For the basics, there’s this I described here. “Microsoft’s Windows Azure storage cloud is having worldwide problems with secure SSL storage, probably because Redmond let the HTTPS certificate expire."
Windows Phone: Will 130,000 Apps be Enough to Spark Nokia Revival? (TechRadar)
Ask an Android or iPhone loyalist why they aren't considering a switch to Windows Phone 8 and they'll probably reference the inferior app catalogue. Well, if those same skeptics were to ask Nokia CEO Stephen Elop, he'd tell them that users of Microsoft's new operating system now have 130,000 applications at their fingertips.
Where Windows 8 Tablets Could Beat the iPad (InfoWorld)
I know a lot of people in both health care and education, and almost everyone wants or has an iPad for use in the clinic or classroom. Every provider of electronic medical records (EMR) systems has or is developing an iPad app for these records systems, which are the equivalent of ERP for the medical industry and in full deployment now thanks to federal mandates. It seems inevitable the iPad will become the device of choice for computers in the classroom and computers in the clinic.
Microsoft's Next Windows Blue Test Build Said to be a Public Preview (ZDNet)
More rumors about Microsoft's next Windows release, codenamed Blue, are trickling out from Win8China.com, a site known for leaking information about new Windows releases. Though I cannot corroborate all Win8China's specifics, I'd say based on previous Windows Blue tidbits I've heard, the site's latest Blue information seems largely believable.
Around the Blogosphere
Introducing the Content Search Web Part (Microsoft SharePoint Team Blog)
Hi there. I'm Kerem Yuceturk, a program manager in the SharePoint Enterprise Content Management team. I am truly excited to start talking about the Content Search Web Part, one of the most interesting features that we added to SharePoint 2013, and the many scenarios it enables for SharePoint aficionados around the world.
Applying Filters to Lookup Fields with the SharePoint 2013 REST API (Andrew Connell)
This tripped me up a few months back. After figuring it out I added a reminder and jotted down a few notes with the intention of blogging it later. I never got around to it but recently noticed a few people asking this question on a discussion list I’m on, so it bubbled to the top of the priority list. Here’s the problem: When you add a lookup field to a list in SharePoint, you can’t filter by the name of the item in the lookup column when using the REST API. The reason is simple: the value isn’t exposed the way you might expect it.
The Current State of SharePoint 2013 Social Collaboration (Jeremy Thake's musings)
SharePoint has evolved dramatically since its inception over 12 years ago starting off as a Document Store complimentary to Exchange. Workloads have been added over the time and since the beginnings “social collaboration” has been key. The term is bounced around by marketing teams like it's going out of fashion, File Shares are social collaboration in the sense that it enables more than one person to collaborate on documents. Obviously SharePoint provides a significantly better story to social collaboration than a file share, but it's worth noting that point.
How My View of Microsoft’s Vision for SharePoint in the Cloud Has Evolved (SharePoint Interface)
It was about a year and a half ago when someone dialed-up the volume on “The SharePoint Cloud Message” in my world. It’s not that I hadn’t heard people talking about SharePoint in the Cloud prior to that; I guess it’s just that I started listening more closely because Microsoft was turning into one of the Cloud’s most vocal proponents.
How to Create a Custom Search Engine for SharePoint 2013 in Google Chrome (EndUserSharePoint)
A great way to search something on your SharePoint 2013 site, or any older version of SharePoint, without the need for browsing to the site, is to let Google Custom Search do it for you.
How to: Sort Search Results by Query String With the ResultScriptWebPart in SharePoint 2013 (Dot Net Mafia)
By now you may have noticed that Search has changed quite a bit in SharePoint 2013. The ResultScriptWebPart powers most of the magic behind the Search Center. It replaces the CoreResultsWebPart that we have been using since SharePoint 2007. I expected many things in it to operate the same, but this web part really has been rewritten from the ground up and that’s a good thing. One new feature (of many) it brings us is the ability to sort search results. You can specify a sort order in the query or by enabling it in the web part properties. This allows the user to pick from a list of properties. I’ll cover it in the future because it deserves a quick post. However, for you developers out there, I know that some of you will want to write some code that passes a sort order. This post explains how to do it.
Around Bamboo Nation
How to Create Password Settings Objects and Show their Expiration Date in Password Expiration Web Part Using SharePoint 2013 (SharePoint 2013)
Password Settings Objects (PSOs) allow password settings to be applied to users or groups as opposed to organizational units. In this article, we will walk through the process of creating PSO and show you how to view their expiration date in Bamboo's Password Expiration Web Part using SharePoint 2013.
How to Use the Power Control in Windows 8 and Windows Server 2012 (The Bamboo Team Blog)
Prior to Windows 8, commands such as Shut down, Restart, and Sleep were housed under the Start menu. In the latest release of Windows, however, Microsoft has removed the Start menu from the desktop user interface and has included a new Power button. Since this change is likely to disorient some users who have grown accustomed to the familiar Start menu, in this article, we will introduce you to the new Power button, and show you how to use it.
SharePoint Job Listings*
Jr. SharePoint Developer - Fort Belvoir, VA
In this job, here are some of the duties to be performed: Will be a team member working with the Web Services Chief and Team Leaders to support the SharePoint Portal. Duties will be a mixture of supporting existing SharePoint applications, and working on new development and integration with other computer systems. Ideal candidate will have a service first focus, be well written and articulate. They must be able to articulate complex systems to both technical and non-technical teams clearly. Out-Of-The-Box SharePoint customization is a must, i.e. list, calendars, document libraries, content types, site columns, list views. The ability to support existing SharePoint sites and content is a must. Knowledge of and configuration experience with Shared Service Providers (SSP), SharePoint 2010 Services, configuration and troubleshooting skills with IIS, SSL, DNS, and AD is a plus.
Lead SharePoint Developer - Atlanta, GA
Global Financial Services firm has an immediate need for a Lead SharePoint Developer in Atlanta, GA for a 6+ month contract engagement. In this role, coordinate and manage a team of development resources to enforce process and review output of developers to ensure predictability and quality of deliverables.
Episode 100 - Introduction to the Windows Azure Service Bus Notification Hubs (Cloud 9)
Recently we announced a new preview feature Windows Azure Service Bus Notification Hubs. In this episode Nick Harris and Nate Totten are joined by Elio Damaggio Program Manager II on Windows Azure Service Bus who provides a great overview, and demo of, Notification Hubs and their use from Windows Store and iOS applications.
- February 27, Online - CardioLog Voice of Customer Tool
- February 27, Online - Webinar: How to Use SharePoint Well – And When To Recognize You Need a Bit More
- March 2, Austin, Texas - SharePoint Saturday
- March 3-6. San Francisco, California - SPTechCon
- March 5, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- March 5, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- March 7, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- March 12, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Community Central Webinar
- March 13, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- March 14, Online - Bamboo Knowledge Management Webinar
- March 15, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Workflow Conductor Webinar
- March 18, Online - Forms, Workflows & Dashboards – Oh My!
- March 19, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Time Tracking & Management Webinar
- March 20, Online - Bamboo SharePoint Project Management Central Webinar
- March 23, Richmond, Virginia - SharePoint Saturday
- April 10-12, Atlanta, Georgia - SHARE: The SharePoint Conference for Business Users
- April 15-17, London, England - SharePoint Evolution Conference
- April 24-26, Philadelphia, Pennsylvania - ShareFEST
- May 14-16, Washington, D.C. - FOSE
- February 26-27, Dallas, Texas – Exploring SharePoint 2013 – New Features: Preparing Users for Upgrade and Migration – SharePoint Solutions
- February 26-28, Chicago, Illinois – Business Intelligence Training – the Microsoft Self-Service BI Toolset – SharePoint Solutions
- March 5, Online - Workflow Conductor - Designer - Bamboo Solutions
- March 5-6, Chicago, IL – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- March 5-8, Chicago, IL – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- March 12, Online - Project Management Central (3.5) Application Administrative Training - Bamboo Solutions
- March 12-15, Nashville, TN – Designing SharePoint Document Management Systems – SharePoint Solutions
- March 19, Online - Bamboo Select - Bamboo Solutions
- March 19-22, Washington, DC – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- March 21, Online - Project Management Central 3.5 - End User Training - Bamboo Solutions
- March 26-27, Nashville, TN – Exploring SharePoint 2013 - New Features – SharePoint Solutions
- April 2-3, Washington, DC – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- April 2-4, Dallas, TX – Business Intelligence Training for SharePoint 2010 –SharePoint Solutions
- April 2-5, Washington, DC – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- April 9-12, Chicago, IL – Designing SharePoint Document Management Systems –SharePoint Solutions
- April 16-19, Nashville, TN – InfoPath 2010/SharePoint 2010 Workflow Deep Dive – SharePoint Solutions
- April 23-24, Chicago, IL – Exploring SharePoint 2013 - New Features – SharePoint Solutions
- April 30-May 1, Nashville, TN – Introduction to SharePoint Foundation 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
- April 30-May 3, Nashville, TN – Introduction to SharePoint Server 2010 – SharePoint Solutions
* Please contact Chris Dooley (firstname.lastname@example.org) to be included in SharePoint Daily™.
Have SharePoint Daily™ delivered to your email inbox every morning.
Feb 26 2013, 07:45 AM
| Edit this post
Filed under: SharePoint Events, SharePoint Training, SharePoint Jobs, Windows Phone, SharePoint in the Cloud, Windows 8 Tablets, SharePoint 2013 Search, Windows Blue, SharePoint 2013 Community Sites, Office 2013 Licensing, Red Cross Moves to Office 365, Content Search Web Part, SharePoint 2013 REST API, SharePoint 2013 Social Collaboration, SharePoint 2013 Custom Search Engine, SharePoint 2013 Social Features, SharePoint 2013 Metadata-driven Navigation [Edit Tags]