How do you read Index files?

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 6 Replies | 2 Followers

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 71
dan.forest posted on Thu, Mar 10 2016 4:02 PM | 199.64.7.53

I tried exporting a list, and a markup-type text file was generated. It looks like that file has the list contents, but how does one read this file in a user-friendly format? The end-user who wants this export needs to be able to look at any given list (13k+) and easily browser it. I tried to view it in IE but it's not a valid XML file. Thanks.

Dan

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
1,824 Posts
Points 27,650
Answered (Verified) Julie Auletta replied on Fri, Mar 11 2016 9:10 AM | 10.10.8.50
Verified by dan.forest

Unfortunately, the intent for the exported data wasn't to provide an alternative source for a readable view, but to collect that data so it can be imported somewhere else (i.e., data migration) or processed elsewhere for purposes of additional analysis.

Exporting list data that includes enhanced rich text columns adds complexity to the export since the exported file is a text file but includes the html markup from the enhanced rich text.

Julie Auletta

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
1,824 Posts
Points 27,650
Answered (Verified) Julie Auletta replied on Fri, Mar 11 2016 9:10 AM | 10.10.8.50
Verified by dan.forest

Unfortunately, the intent for the exported data wasn't to provide an alternative source for a readable view, but to collect that data so it can be imported somewhere else (i.e., data migration) or processed elsewhere for purposes of additional analysis.

Exporting list data that includes enhanced rich text columns adds complexity to the export since the exported file is a text file but includes the html markup from the enhanced rich text.

Julie Auletta

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 71
dan.forest replied on Fri, Mar 11 2016 4:36 PM | 199.64.6.151

thanks Julia. I didn't realize that it was the rich text fields that were responsible for the markup within the file. That will help me to determine if this solution will work for us. There are apparently 13K+ lists on this site, so I need to find the most efficient conversion solution.

Dan

Top 10 Contributor
1,824 Posts
Points 27,650
Julie Auletta replied on Fri, Mar 11 2016 4:42 PM | 10.10.8.50

Is the intent to get the data out of SharePoint for good? Have you tried exporting to Excel (that may handle the rich text better)?

Are the lists all the same type? or similar? How many items (approx.) in each - lots?

Julie Auletta

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 71
dan.forest replied on Mon, Mar 14 2016 1:25 PM | 199.64.7.56

Yes, the intent is to get the data out of SharePoint for good (we have to shut down the '03 server it's running on). I did view the data in Excel, and it didn't render the rich text, but now that I know what we are dealing with, I think we could parse out the tags and just leave the plain text.

On another note, can you verify that this app will not export document libraries? It only seems to export documents attached to list items. Is that correct? If so, do you have another tool that can do both? Basically like a site dump to disk kind of application. Thanks.

Dan

Top 10 Contributor
1,824 Posts
Points 27,650
Julie Auletta replied on Mon, Mar 14 2016 2:02 PM | 10.10.8.50

You should be able to export files from Document libraries too. Are you having trouble exporting from libraries?

Julie Auletta

Not Ranked
4 Posts
Points 71
dan.forest replied on Tue, Mar 15 2016 1:10 AM | 199.64.7.56

When I was first using the tool, it didn't appear that I could, but on 2nd try, yes I can export document libraries. Thanks.

Page 1 of 1 (7 items) | RSS
Bamboo Solutions Corporation, 2002-2016