Multiple users accessing a Excel sheet at same time for editing and saving? How to make this happen

rated by 0 users
Answered (Verified) This post has 1 verified answer | 11 Replies | 3 Followers

Top 75 Contributor
22 Posts
Points 355
skrao posted on Wed, Apr 15 2009 1:30 PM

Hi

I would like to have a setup like this.

I want to share a excel sheet in MOSS 2007 share point in one of the document library.

And multiple users should be able to do the changes at same time. This is possible in the windows shared drives. Want to have this option in the share point too.

I know if one user check out it will be locked.,But i want to have multiple users to able to change in same time.

Appreciate ur quick help on this.

Thanks !

SKRao.

Answered (Verified) Verified Answer

Top 10 Contributor
206 Posts
Points 3,628
Verified by Jeremy Minich

Praveen:

I am by no means an Excel expert and am unsure why you are experiencing this issue.  As this doesn't seem to be a SharePoint issue and instead an Excel issue, I would recommend looking at the Technet Microsoft Excel Forum.

Thanks,

Jeremy Minich

• Filed under:
  • | Post Points: 5

All Replies

Top 10 Contributor
206 Posts
Points 3,628
Suggested by Ashutosh Verma

SKRao:

You are correct that check-in/check-out in MOSS 2007 will not allow you to accomplish your desired effect.  I am not currently aware of a way that you could accomplish what you're after while keeping the document within SharePoint. 

An option you may consider is keeping the Excel workbook on your network drive so multiple folks can edit and publish the workbook via Excel Services and render through an Excel Web Access WP (MOSS 2007 Ent. required).

That's all I've got right now...sorry.

Thanks,

Jeremy Minich

Top 75 Contributor
22 Posts
Points 355
skrao replied on Wed, Apr 15 2009 1:57 PM

Jeremy Minich:

An option you may consider is keeping the Excel workbook on your network drive so multiple folks can edit and publish the workbook via Excel Services and render through an Excel Web Access WP (MOSS 2007 Ent. required).

How do i do this? what is excel services? can you throw some light on this?

Thanks

SKRao

Top 75 Contributor
22 Posts
Points 355
skrao replied on Wed, Apr 15 2009 1:59 PM

I thought of creating a data sheet view and update as 'edit in data sheet view' option from the settings, but we dont have that option available too? May be active X controles are not installed?

Any other way which can be doable?

Just want to have multiple users can modify the file (any file) and save in the Share Point.

Thanks !

SKRao

Top 10 Contributor
206 Posts
Points 3,628

SKRao:

Excel Services requires MOSS 2007 Enterprise licensing (not sure what flavor of SP you're running) and is a pretty robust topic.  This introduction by MS should get you started and some Googling of Excel Services will present you with a lot of other good information on what is, how to set up, use, etc.

Datasheet view in SP requires that you have a compatible datasheet program installed, such as Microsoft Office 2003 or higher on the machine you are trying to view the datasheet.  This may be why your datasheet view is not displaying.

I'm not sure what to say, other than, SharePoint is not intended to work in the fashion that you desire. 

Thanks,

Jeremy Minich

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 22

hai

i m ashutosh

please provide a procedure for Multiple users accessing a Excel sheet at same time for editing and saving

my e mail id: dreamlandtech@gmail.com

i m register user of your site

Top 10 Contributor
206 Posts
Points 3,628
Suggested by Jeremy Minich

Hai:

This is accomplished with "Shared Workbooks."  The instructions below have been taken directly from Excel 2007 Help.

Share a workbook

1. Create a new workbook and enter any data that you want to provide, or open an existing workbook that you want to make available for multiuser editing.

Note   Not all features are supported in a shared workbook. If you want to include any of the following features, you should add them before you save the workbook as a shared workbook: merged cells (merged cell: A single cell that is created by combining two or more selected cells. The cell reference for a merged cell is the upper-left cell in the original selected range.), conditional formats (conditional format: A format, such as cell shading or font color, that Excel automatically applies to cells if a specified condition is true.), data validation (data validation: An Excel feature that you can use to define restrictions on what data can or should be entered in a cell, and to display messages that prompt users for correct entries and notify users about incorrect entries.), charts, pictures, objects including drawing objects, hyperlinks (hyperlink: Colored and underlined text or a graphic that you click to go to a file, a location in a file, a Web page on the World Wide Web, or a Web page on an intranet. Hyperlinks can also go to newsgroups and to Gopher, Telnet, and FTP sites.), scenarios, outlines (outline: Worksheet data in which rows or columns of detail data are grouped so that you can create summary reports. The outline can summarize either an entire worksheet or a selected portion of it.), subtotals, data tables (data table: A range of cells that shows the results of substituting different values in one or more formulas. There are two types of data tables: one-input tables and two-input tables.), PivotTable reports (PivotTable report: An interactive, crosstabulated Excel report that summarizes and analyzes data, such as database records, from various sources, including ones that are external to Excel.), workbook and worksheet protection, and macros. You cannot make changes to these features after you share the workbook.

Features that are not supported in a shared workbook

In a shared workbook, you cannotBut you may be able to do the following
    Create an Excel table None
    Insert or delete blocks of cells You can insert entire rows and columns.
    Delete worksheets None
    Merge cells or split merged cells None
    Add or change conditional formats Existing conditional formats continue to appear as cell values change, but you can't change these formats or redefine the conditions.
    Add or change data validation Cells continue to be validated when you type new values, but you can't change existing data validation settings.
    Create or change charts or PivotChart reports You can view existing charts and reports.
    Insert or change pictures or other objects You can view existing pictures and objects.
    Insert or change hyperlinks Existing hyperlinks continue to work.
    Use drawing tools You can view existing drawings and graphics.
    Assign, change, or remove passwords Existing passwords remain in effect.
    Protect or unprotect worksheets or the workbook Existing protection remains in effect.
    Create, change, or view scenarios None
    Group or outline data You can continue to use existing outlines.
    Insert automatic subtotals You can view existing subtotals.
    Create data tables (data table: A range of cells that shows the results of substituting different values in one or more formulas. There are two types of data tables: one-input tables and two-input tables.) You can view existing data tables.
    Create or change PivotTable reports You can view existing reports.
    Write, record, change, view, or assign macros You can run existing macros that don't access unavailable features. You can record shared workbook operations into a macro stored in another nonshared workbook.
    Add or change Microsoft Excel 4 dialog sheets None
    Change or delete array formulas (array formula: A formula that performs multiple calculations on one or more sets of values, and then returns either a single result or multiple results. Array formulas are enclosed between braces { } and are entered by pressing CTRL+SHIFT+ENTER.) Existing array formulas continue to calculate correctly.
    Use a data form to add new data You can use a data form to find a record.
    Work with XML data, including:
    • Import, refresh, and export XML data
    • Add, rename, or delete XML maps
    • Map cells to XML elements
    • Use the XML Source task pane, XML toolbar, or XML commands on the Data menu
    None
  2. On the Review tab, in the Changes group, click Share Workbook.
  3. On the Editing tab, select the Allow changes by more than one user at the same time. This also allows workbook merging check box.
  4. On the Advanced tab, select the options that you want to use for tracking and updating changes, and then click OK.
  5. Do one of the following:
    • If this is a new workbook, type a name in the File name box.
    • If this is an existing workbook, click OK to save the workbook, click Microsoft Office Button , and then click Save As.
  6. If the workbook contains links to other workbooks or documents, verify the links and update any links that are broken, and then click Save  on the Quick Access Toolbar, or press CTRL+S.

Jeremy Minich

Top 75 Contributor
22 Posts
Points 355
skrao replied on Wed, Jun 17 2009 11:50 AM

JM,

The same mechanism also available in the previous versions of the MS Office Excel 2003.

Is there anyway that same mechanism can be achieved through MOSS 3.0?

SK.

Top 10 Contributor
206 Posts
Points 3,628

SK:

No, MOSS 2007/WSSv3 does not provide this capability.

Regards,

Jeremy Minich

Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 22
Answered (Not Verified) pavi_36 replied on Tue, Jun 23 2009 4:17 AM
Suggested by pavi_36

Hi

Can Anyone tell me how to share an excel sheet and it should be able to access by multiple users

As you have suggested to do the shared workbook option after doing this option still i m not able to save an document where it say as the file is read only and instead of saving it is asking for save as..

Please do let me know about this issue... awaiting reply from ur side

Thanks and regards,

Praveen

Top 10 Contributor
206 Posts
Points 3,628
Verified by Jeremy Minich

Praveen:

I am by no means an Excel expert and am unsure why you are experiencing this issue.  As this doesn't seem to be a SharePoint issue and instead an Excel issue, I would recommend looking at the Technet Microsoft Excel Forum.

Thanks,

Jeremy Minich

• Filed under:
Not Ranked
1 Posts
Points 5
duytuanvn replied on Sat, Apr 6 2013 10:58 PM

You can visit www.atoolspro.com

Page 1 of 1 (12 items) | RSS
Bamboo Solutions Corporation, 2002-2014